Gummy solenoid

One of the solenoids on one of the tape machines I'm restoring is gummy, and doesn't spring back to its relaxed state the way its opposite number does.

There's no sign of dried out or hardened lubrication. The shafts appear to be made of carbon, or some black metal coated with carbon.

What would be a good way of freeing this thing?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

If you can easily get at the solenoid, or remove it from the tape deck, I would suggest using a powdered graphite lubricant.

Reply to
Bruce

In message , D.M. Procida writes

With professional tape machines, the normal approach was to dismantle completely, thoroughly clean with some non-aggressive solvent and re-assemble dry after checking, cleaning and lubricating all the relevant external linkages. I think most sticking was caused by a thin film of the oil that evaporated from other moving parts and condensed inside the solenoid, or from simple changes in the structure of the solenoid's materials (windings, insulation and polishing of the rubbing surfaces etc). In the latter case, replacement was the only long term solution. But if it's Studer, Revox etc., the important word is dry.

Reply to
Bill

In article , D.M. Procida scribeth thus

Restoring a tape machine:)?..

Which one?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Wot, no photos?

Reply to
Bruce

wash in alcohol then lube with silicone spray.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd look for corrosion etc inside the solenoid part. The armature should slide freely. No need for any lubrication there. Obviously any pivots etc should be as friction free as possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Crap, where did they go? They were there last night! Anyway, I have restored them.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Thanks for all the advice, it's now free and solenoiding soothly.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida