Guitar repair

You must be younger than us - the tasks we want to do 'one day' seem to be getting further away rather than nearer!

I can't do with the guitar hanging about in bits though!

I think we have some - but I'm getting quite bloody minded about this and determined to stick to animal glue now that I've started on the quest :-)

Oh yes, we're not daft and Spouse particularly is a very experienced woodworker. He has all the necessary tools and skills.

Hmm, I'll have a look at that, thanks!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh I am :-)

I'm old enough to know the pitfalls. My first study of cements, lutes and something else was so long ago that I've forgotten the other element but it opened my innocent eyes to the importance of using the right one. That was back in my laboratory technician days, must be fifty years ago. And I've learned even more since then!

I've no idea of its value although years ago a professional guitarist said it was worth more than someone had offered for it. I don't want to sell it, just don't want it in bits.

Thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ordered!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But do you care how it sounds?

Regards JonH

Reply to
Jon

My ears aren't what they were either :-(

Shakespeare was right - sans eyes, sans ears, sans teeth, sans everything. Or whatever.

A crown dropped out last week :-( I can never find my glasses and the new hearing aids make everything sound so LOUD that I can't bear them for more than an hour at a time ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

the word wrap.

Reply to
Geoff Beale

or builders merchants. Its good stuff is aliphatic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And check out his songs while you are at it: he deserves to be better known.

Reply to
Newshound

Watch the word wrap.

Ah, Axminster! Thank you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

use hyde glue and here is a link to stewmac

it in distilleed water. warm it up to around 150 f in a double boiler or in the micro wave then apply

bob

mark snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com wrote:

Reply to
robert gebeaux

The only problem with hyde glue is that it has to be mixed in equal parts with jekell to get it to set up.

Alan (Couldn't resist) D.

Reply to
Alan D.

Mary,

Another trick that might help with this instrument. Wet down the dovetail part of the neck only with a spondr or rag, let the end grain soak it up a bit, but keep away from the cheeks of the neck where it might damage the finish. You don't have to really soak it, just let it get wet and swell up a bit. Let it dry real good again, a hair dryer helps this process. This doesn't make it real big, just expands the surface grain some. Now when you reset the joint it will crush down again but it will make a real snug fit. Remember that the hide glue will also re-wet the joint, so give it a couple days to dry good before stringing it up again.

Alan D.

Reply to
Alan D.

That's a good tip, thank you.

We shan't be in a rush :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The D is for Dr I assume (not Livingstone)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher