Gripperods?

New carpet being fitted to hall, stairs. landing on Friday. Landing floor boards are a bit uneven, so I'm going to cover it in 3mm hardboard.

Is it best to hardboard up to the gripperods, or take them up, board the floor & then replace them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As the underlay usually fits in between the grippers I would say gripper on top of hardboard.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

I'd have thought take them up would be best. The underlay fits in the gap, and it might end up a little high?

at least check and see what the fitters think if not.

Reply to
chris French

I did this recently and put the gripper rods on top of the hardboard. The carpet layers didn't complain and the end result was good.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The top of the grippers ought to be level with the top of the underlay so you should raise the former if effectively doing so with the latter.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ideally, maybe. In practice they dont, and its not normally an issue.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Really? Every carpet I've ever lifted or fitted has been...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

That's curious, there are at least a few thicknesses of underlay and I've not come across gripper sold in a range of thicknesses to match.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Ask for long pin gripper - much better for 11mm underlay (and particularly heavy carpets). Alternatively I've known fitters double up standard grippers for particularly thick underlay but I'm sure it's no real substitute for the real thing.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ah. In this case it's el cheapo 'selling the house carpet' so no underlay, hence trying to smooth the uneven landing with hardboard.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If it's really el cheapo stuff - does it want gripper rods at all?...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

With no underlay, grip rods arent suitable. If for whatever reason you did use them, and accepted the resulting hump all round the edge, not putting hardboard under the gripper would at least reduce the height of the hump. The standard way with no underlay is to glue it down. Sometimes double sided tape is used.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

For most underlay depths though the same standard stuff is used.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , D.M.Chapman writes

Possibly not. We had some very cheap felt backed stuff put in the kids bedroom in the old house with no underlay. Fairly horrible stuff, but it was just tuck down with double sided tape.

If fact with no underlay, using gripperords would be a bit odd because you'd have a hump all round the edge of the room.

Reply to
chris French

I helped put some in a rental house before Christmas - it was to keep the council quiet, though the new people said they were going to take it straight up again and recarpet. So we got the very cheapest we could find - like blotting paper it was. The gripper's spikes came through if you trod too close to the edge.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Interesting. I asked the droid in Carpet Right if I should leave the existing gripper & he said yes.

I think I need to call the fitters....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman