Grinding glass edges

Hi

I want to grind glass edges. I guess its a case for a drum sander not an orbital, but

  1. is this the right thing to use
  2. what grade?
  3. any lubricant?
  4. is the glass powder dangerous, should one take some kind of precautions?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? PS got an angle grinder too :)

Cheers, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Many? A SiC sharpening stone for a pound will work. Keep it wet, do it outside. Glass dust is not good stuff to breath in.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

thanks Ian. I've got to do it in situ. Drill plus grinding wheel? Sounds much less work. :)

If grinding is the way to go... angle grinder?? If so, which disc, metal grit, stone grit or diamond?

Still dont know how I can deal with the glass dust though.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

thanks Ian. I've got to do it in situ. Drill plus grinding wheel? Sounds much less work. :)

If grinding is the way to go... angle grinder?? If so, which disc, metal grit, stone grit or diamond?

Still dont know how I can deal with the glass dust though.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

How much, and do you want a nice round edge, ultimately polished, or ...

A cheap 1 pound two-sided SIC grinding stone can do it surprisingly fast unless you've got miles to do before you sleep. You really want to keep it wet, if you can. How much do you have to do?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Silicon carbide 'wet and dry' was traditionally usd to remove the arrises on glass. If used wet this will help control the dust.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I had a new shelf made for my frig & the guy in the glaziers did it there and then. He cut a piece, then ground off the edges to make "polished all round" (PAR) with an oil-stone - exactly the same type you'd sharpen a chisel with, except he lubricated it with white spirit. Took him all of 5 minutes.

Reply to
Huge

Well, just one mirror. Far rather power tool it if its an option, as its far safer as well as quicker. But if not, a stone it may be. Ive got a little sharpening stone, just dont like the sound of whipping my wrists back and forth across a cut edge with just a weeny piece of stone in the way. Power tools I got plenty... quick too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

For one mirror, it's literally a couple of minutes. And a power tool will throw more dust/spray, which contains nasty little particles of glass that will wreck your lungs.

Find a suitable bit of clean wood (don't want any grit). Ideally do this outside. Simply place the mirror glass-side down on the wood (you do not of course want to touch the mirror side any more than possible, as you may get punholes.

Once you've run the stone down the side carefully a couple of times, the edge is so blunt that you won't be able to cut yourself.

Arrange a hose to spray on the mirror, and run off the edges. Pick up the mirror, spray off the wood to ensure that there are no grit particles from the stone on it, then rotate 90 degrees, and repeat until done. If doing inside, you want to wash all the debris away wet, and not let it dry out and go floating round the house.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That sounds remarkably quick - will have a go ty. It does need to be done in situ.

Cheers, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton