Gridwatch and power generation today

been on fer an hour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorta but dont take their word for it.

Mmm. and we are importing from France too...now of France goes all chilly...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm confused, is there a browser problem? What I see is a 2017 article saying that, of their 82 TWh pumped storage capacity, they already used virtually all of it themselves. To service Germany they would need to build *lots* more, which they don't want to do, and they would need a huge investment in grid infrastructure to do it.

The article is saying that it's *not* a practical solution, which is what you were saying too.

Reply to
newshound

Actually it says (cut-and-pasted) "This means nearly all the country?s

82 terawatt-hours of storage was used by Norwegians." It doesn't say "82 terawatt-hours of _pumped_ storage". I agree it's misleading, but I take it to mean that the 82 TWh is the storage capacity of their conventional hydroelectric schemes, i.e. the reservoirs behind the dams.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

If you have enough hydro water you dont necessarily need to pump it. You simply hold it and run your country off imported renewabubbles and unicorn farts.

When those die down, you have your water...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that equates to approximately 9MW continuous generation.

So it could well be.

Wiki:

Hydropower generation capacity is around 31 GW in 2014, when 131 TWh was produced; about 95% of total production.[4]

Of the total production in 2011 of 128 TWh; 122 TWh was from hydroelectric plants, 4795 GWh was from thermal power, and 1283 GWh was wind generated.[5] In the same year, the total consumption was 114 TWh.[5] Hydro production can vary 60 TWh between years, depending on amount of precipitation, and the remaining hydro potential is about 34 TWh.[6]

In 2016, the Norwegian government published a ?White Paper? regarding their future energy intentions through 2030. This announcement emphasized four main goals, which were improving security in the supply of their power, improving the efficiency of their renewables, making their energy more efficiency and environmentally and climate sensitive, and fostering economic development and value through fiscally responsible and renewable technology.[7]

The annual electricity consumption was about 26-27 MWh per inhabitant during 2004-2009 when the European union (EU15) average in 2008 was 7.4 MWh. Norway?s consumption of electricity was over three times higher per person compared to the EU 15 average in 2008. The domestic electricity supply promotes use of electricity,[8] and it is the most common energy source for heating floors and hot water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yet at the same time, pumped hydro was being "shy" compared to their usual early evening output, and this morning all inter-connectors are either exporting or idle.

It's not even been especially cold yet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

one needs to remeber that Norway is a cold country. Much of the EU energu consumption is in much warmer countries, so it's not surprising that more than average EU energy is needed to keep warm

Reply to
charles

Ah, OK. But the overall tenor *is* saying that Norway can't be the battery for Germany (let alone Europe).

Reply to
newshound

hydro may well be waiting for higher prices. I dont think its rained that much recently.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is certainly true, but it can *help*. If renewable energy ought to be *helped*.

If Brexit has done one thing, its exposed the utter corruption and venality and arrogance of *all* the EU and UK politicians.

If they lied about one thing are they telling the truth about climate change?

Course they aren't!

There is a global war between globalists and populations.

The globalists know this. The populations are only just waking up to it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't mean fluvial hydro, presumably Dinorwic is not especially dependent on rainfall, and it's just a small bonus to them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh pumped is not there to run in cold weather. It's there to balance the evening peak.

typically it bangs out a variable half a GW for an hour or three

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well yes, and you normally see a "pulse" from it on the graphs at 7pm'ish

Clearly there was a lot of wind-power available on Monday, so CCGT and coal were trimmed back, and pumped storage barely bothered running that evening.

If supply was short enough on Wednesday night (wholesale prices weren't high for the month, so was it really?) to run OCGT, then wouldn't hydro have cashed-in too?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thinks it's also that those are figures for electricity only. Norway is exceptional in using so little gas and oil (despite having vast reserves of them!) compared with electricity - for the manifest reason that it has long had so much hydroelectric capacity.

Reply to
Robin