Gravel / Chippings volume to weight ratio

Hi,

Just in the advanced planning stage of a landscaping project for the back garden - using Marshalls Woodstone sleepers and posts.

The posts will be concreted 200mm into holes dug with a petrol posthole borer I'm hiring for a weekend.

To seat all the posts at the same height I'm planning on using something like a 14mm to dust aggregate, compacted in the bottom of the hole this means that if a hole is slightly deeper I can raise it up to the correct height.

I'm just trying to work out the quantity of aggregate I need I plan on putting 50mm of chippings in the bottom of each hole.

I've Googled but not found a figure for the volume to weight ratio for

14mm to dust.

Regards

splowe.

- Steve Lowe

- E-Mail : snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM

- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Reply to
Steve Lowe

Try

adder1969

A figure of about 2.5 tons per cu metre springs to mind. But a supplier should be able to tell you.

Reply to
robert

Hi - thanks - Cormicks site had been my 1st port of call but couldn't find it on there.

Found another site that said 12m2 at 50mm per 1 Tonne so have been able to calculate coverage per 25Kg.

Asked a mate who's a Civil Engineer specializing in roads / highways but was a bit baffled by his very technical answer.

Regards

Steve.