Grand designs - selecting the correct sized brush for the job

How odd ! Provence is one of the few bits of France where a veggie can eat at all well.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This was in the eighties. She once asked a restaurant to just serve her vegetables so the waiter quite deliberately brought out a plate with a raw potato surrounded by raw carrots. Being a vegetarian was regarded an insult to the chef's cooking and they didn't want them there, an attitude I notice Gordon Ramsay has now adopted.

But as for Provence now, I gather it is supposedly full of the English so I assume veggies are catered for more.

Reply to
G&M

Wasn't that just some temporary tarpaulin they put up to keep the place dry while the walls were being put up? I don't think they left that in place. Could be wrong though...

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

In message , Pecanfan writes

Dunno, didn't pay attention at the time and none of the pictures actually show them doing it.

Reply to
chris French

I thought I saw a brief shot of them spraying straight onto mesh over straw...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didnt see the prog, and dont know what kind of render they used. I do know though that cement and lime behave very differently. Cement is more or less impermeable, but it cracks, allowing wet in, but is impermeable enough to prevent drying out. So cemented structures tend to get wet.

Lime OTOH is like a sponge, it absorbs rain, but being so permeable it dries out well between rains. Thus it prevents structures getting wet enough to get damaged.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I think sponge is a bit strong a term - makes it sound like the wall is holding gallons of water whereas even in the hardest rain it only absorbs a very small amount.

Reply to
G&M

Todays build regs are not mostly about preventing things falling down. They have gone far beyond that, so very far beyond it as to become silly at times. Some are good, but many are simply inappropriate. For example I would not be allowed to make certain clear improvements to some Vic properties because they would not (and could not) meet build regs. Despite the fact that they would improve things from every aspect: safety, utility, access, appearance and value.

This is the trouble with power, when you give people power they eventually forget why they were given it, and wander off on their own agenda. That is why there need to be checks and counter power in place

- something missing in our system.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I think its well known here and the periodproperty site that I agree with you 100% and have quite low regard for some of the building regs and even lower still for those proporting to police them.

But I just don't think it's a UK only problem. There are lots of silly regs abroad as well and plenty of people who enjoy policing them just as much.

Reply to
G&M

"G&M" wrote | "N. Thornton" wrote | > Todays build regs are not mostly about preventing things falling | > down. They have gone far beyond that, so very far beyond it as | > to become silly at times. Some are good, but many are simply | > inappropriate.... | I think its well known here and the periodproperty site that I | agree with you 100% and have quite low regard for some of the | building regs and even lower still for those proporting to police | them.

However, because most houses in this country are built by the speculative builders who will usually build the cheapest thing they can get away with, without building regs we would have even more even worse houses than we do now.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But those purchasers who bought off-plan were probably speculating themselves that the value of their property would rise well above the purchase price even before they moved in. After all nobody HAS to buy a new build.

Reply to
G&M

What sort of improvements can't you do? I thought there was an overall rule that if it is not practical to meet current regs, but the work improves the current situation, then it can be signed off.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Only for listed buildings or properties in conservation areas or National Parks. Usually BCOs are amenable to older properties outside these areas but the conservation officer doesn't have the clout he has inside those areas.

Biggest problem is windows. Older properties need single glazed wooden surround windows for both accuracy and maintaining a reasonable degree of ventilation through draughts, yet of course many BCOs want double glazing fitted to replace rotten frames. Also many joist spans are well over current allowances so when you come to replace a rotten or failed one you have all sorts of arguments over whether "like for like" is acceptable or not. Finally everybody keeps trying to put DPCs into old properties by injection or other means when these methods neither work or are necessary provided the house is ventilated and only lime plaster, mortar and render is used.

Reply to
G&M

Hi,

I would have thought secondary glazing would be an acceptable alternative to the BCO.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

My proposal was shutters which are more authentic. But they don't see it that way. Fortunately I'm in a conservation area so eventually I just told the BCO all windows were off limits to him and he went away in a huff.

Reply to
G&M

Good for you. Bloody pen-pushers, in general.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

You mean some of them know how to write ?

Reply to
G&M

Reply to
Sploop

any good ? he's not even doing his job, is he ?

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

And what's he going to do when you've finished precisely ? Everything he deals with will be covered with 2 feet of soil, an inch of plaster or something else.

I despair !!!!!!!

Reply to
G&M