Grade 2 listed - implications

it is. And the results are a shock to the eye. Hard to find anything less s uited than an all glass add-on to a 1600s house.

Glass walls with abysmal insulation don't really qualify as that

Sadly yes. There are basically 4 possible approaches:

  1. Match the existing & do it well.
  2. Match the existing & make a hash of it.
  3. Don't match but make it fit in comfortably
  4. Make it clash totally, eg glass walls onto stone.
2 & 4 are the worst options of course. Lots of old property has had 1 done in the past. We like old properties mainly because of their style, and thei r history. And yet constructing more of the same interesting, quirky and ch arming style is now forbidden. Mad. Especially when keeping record of what was built when is in no way a challenge nowadays.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The best way to enjoy a 15th century cottage with all the beams is rent one for a holiday :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Excellent advice. I think I can still feel the bump on my head from where I stood up too quickly in the living room of one. That might have been the same one that had a beam running across the kitchen at a height of about 4' 6".

BTW, renting (holiday) houses is a brilliant way of finding out, at a reasonable cost, that low beams, wet rooms and AGAs are all s**te.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

What don't you like about wet rooms?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I had one in my Swedish flat, wish I had one here

tim

Reply to
tim...

If it's an investment you don't want listed, the cost of maintenance will be higher because of that compliance and it won't bring in any more in rent.

Reply to
DJC

Doubtless they could be done right, with proper extraction, underfloor heating and physical separation of the wet and dry areas, but I've never used one that was anything other than cold, slippery, impractical and hard on the feet and made all your towels and bathroom stuff damp all the time. The word "dank" springs to mind. Like showering in a cave.

I do like large walk-in shower cubicles that are separated from the rest of the bathroom. Do they count as "wet rooms"?

Reply to
Huge

Umm..

I am attempting to future proof our next home. As planned there will be

3 *bathrooms*. Sadly builders ideas of following architects drawings adapts dimensions to the nearest 1/2 block. This has meant that a space marginally tight for wheelchair access is now very tight! Shower screens would detract further.

Extract/underfloor heating planned, (maybe humidity stat.). Electric towel rail for summer.

Current is 800x1200 and seems adequate. You can stand out of the spray while the thermostat stabilises.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

[21 lines snipped] .

I've just specced a 900 x 1400 for our bathroom. That's the biggest that will fit.

Reply to
Huge

'Twas ever thus. Any architect worth his salt would realise this and produce designs based on integral multiples of the materials being used.

I found this out the hard way when I designed a new garage, and had to accept a few dimensional compromises.

Reply to
Roger Mills