Going rate for adding a radiator to existing system?

Hi,

I'm looking at adding a radiator to my existing (pressurised) system. It looks to me like a fairly simple job (there is a plinth heater not far away, and all the piping could be run under kitchen cupboards and then straight through the wall), but I've been quoted anything between =A3200 and =A3280 for the job.

Are these reasonable prices? Given that the radiator itself seems fairly cheap (45ish from Screwfix for a 600x800 convector) this seems high - but I've never had a plumber in before. I'm increasingly tempted to have a go myself. The plinth heater is in series with the existing pipework and has some kind of push-fit connection with flexible hoses - so I presume I could just tap off somehow? One problem is that is not clear whether the connectors are re-usable or not.

I'd be grateful for any pointers / opinions.

Thanks

James

Reply to
gw0udm

You have answered your own question.

It is a very cheap and easy DIY job that a tradesperson would reasonably want £200 for.

DIY on one of these things is very satisfying. You can look at it over the years and think "I did that".

Reply to
EricP

If it is such a simple job then d.i.y Look at it as a 1 day job ... tradesman (outside home counties) around =A3125. Add to that materials.. Fit rad, drain system, route in pipes, splice into system, make joints, flush, refill, add inhibitor ... test ... and warranty the work. Incl. time taken to come to site to view job, and then time to get materials, transport.etc.

Remember you may view this as less than a full day ... but he is unlikely to do another job that day so needs to cover day rate.

=A3200 seems pretty fair ...

I wouldn't do it for less.

Reply to
Osprey

Thanks for these, very helpful.

I think I'll either go for the =A3200 quote or else do it slowly myself over the Summer!

Thanks again

James

Reply to
gw0udm