Glen 2178 Convector Heater thermostat

Okay: I know the correct answer to the question is "chuck it away and get another one" but this is uk.d-i-y and I'd like to fix it if I can.

I think the thermostatic control (143211 086-6 printed on the component) is worn out. The heater won't even switch on until the dial is up beyond the 4 mark and regardless of the external temperature, switches off after about a minute and won't come back on again for several minutes. I can't find anything wrong with the rest of the heater so I'm guessing the plastic bit that adjusts the bi-metal contact is worn out.

Where can I buy a replacement? I've searched rs-online and ebay without result but maybe I'm not using the right search. And if I can't buy a replacement, is there a near equivalent I could use? This one has spade connector terminals so I think it should be easy to swap the part out.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

A google for thermostat 143211 suggests .. Inter Control 143211

Technical data

suppliers:

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Doh! So why didn't that show up in my searches? Thanks - that's just what I need and having dug the other one out of the loft and it showing the same reluctance to convect heat, I guess I'll buy a couple of them.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Where does the actual sensor live? I'd have thought its more likely to be that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think the thermostat is the sensor: the bimetal spring responds to the temperature in the metal case. I can see it actuating - or in the instance of the one from the loft, not actuating.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Bad thermostat contacts would cause that symptom, makes the stat self heat excessively. Clean em up.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or even a few, on the basis that they seem to be unreliable ;-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I like that plan: I could end up not having to spend any money.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell