Glass Well Cover

Whilst building a conservatory we discovered a beautiful brick clad well in the middle of the floor. We want to cap the well off with a round glass cover at floor level. I have located a company who can supply strenghtened architectural glass (at a price!) but I'm having difficulties in working out how to do the frame for it to sit in. I've had the idea of using the frame from a 60cm round manhold cover but I bet I'll have problems with getting one that will accept the right thickness of glass and still end up with a flush (to the floor) fitting.

I'd apprecieate some advice from someone who's done somthing similar. Alternatively, does anybody know of a company that could supply both the glass and the frame? Searching of the internet for "well" is somewhat pointless so I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Reply to
LucyHi

Don't forget to put some lights down it to make a nice feature. Tke your cover to a few different places and they will fit a piece of glass in to it. If all else fails, try a double glazing company as they can do some very odd things with glass of various types. I once had some strengthened glass from a local company for a very similar project, although not as good as a well. It was to cover a mosaic floor that was found.

Reply to
Brian

If you live anywhere near Kent/Sussex, go to the pub in Northiam - they have done exactly what you want to do - very effective too.

The glass was at least 1" thick, set into a hardwood circular frame IIRC, which was mounted on the brick.

A few feet down in the well was a stupidly bright (it has to be if the well is deep) gas discharge lamp, pointing downwards. Hight pressure sodium probably, but could have been something else.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Go to either a steel fabricator or a joiner to have a custom mount made up. I would think it needs to seat evenly to avoid stress points on the glass.

Reply to
dom

I've forgotten the name, but when I used to work in Wheathampstead Hertfordshire, there was a pub nearby we used to go to for lunch which had done this, when they unexpectedly came across a well in the floor during renovations.

You can drop a spotlight down on a long cord, or a few on different length cords if it's very deep. Obviously, beware they might become submerged depending on the water table variation.

BTW, what is the depth, and is there any water visible?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" contains these words:

A compliant gasket would solve that.

A nice hardwood frame shouldn't be too hard to make and would look nice.

Reply to
Guy King

Something appears to have happened to my original post which went something like this:

We have discovered a well in the middle of our conservatory which we want to cover with a circular glass cover. I have found a supply of strenghted glass but need a frame - I was considering a 60cm diameter manhole cover frame but I'm probably going to have probels getting the frame and glass flush to the floor.

Does anybody know of a company that provides both a glass cover and a custom frame?

Many thanks for all the replies so far and I do intend puting lights down the well (about three low wattage 12V spots.

Thanks

Reply to
LucyHi

[...]

...and this!

No, but a joiner should be able to make a nice looking one, I wouldn't think a steel one might be attractive (are you making the cover flush with the floor, though?).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|Something appears to have happened to my original post which went |something like this: | |We have discovered a well in the middle of our conservatory which we |want to cover with a circular glass cover. I have found a supply of |strenghted glass but need a frame - I was considering a 60cm diameter |manhole cover frame but I'm probably going to have probels getting the |frame and glass flush to the floor. | |Does anybody know of a company that provides both a glass cover and a |custom frame? | |Many thanks for all the replies so far and I do intend puting lights |down the well (about three low wattage 12V spots.

You first one appeared here OK. Four copies is a tad excessive.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In article , LucyHi writes

Nice!

My first thought though was that condensation might form on the underside of the glass, which would spoil the appearance?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A few layers of waterproof plywood would be easier.

Just cut the hole in the top couple a bit bigger to make a rebate for the glass.

Reply to
dennis

Doesn't seem a problem in the pub I mentioned earlier - glass is clean as a whistle.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

|Mike Tomlinson wrote: | |> In article , |> LucyHi writes |> |>>Whilst building a conservatory we discovered a beautiful brick clad |>>well in the middle of the floor. We want to cap the well off with a |>>round glass cover at floor level. |> |> Nice! |> |> My first thought though was that condensation might form on the |> underside of the glass, which would spoil the appearance? |> | |Doesn't seem a problem in the pub I mentioned earlier - glass is clean as a |whistle.

The glass would be warmed from the inside of the pub so condensation should evaporate.

It would still be a good idea include facilities for periodic cleaning, remember that the glass will be **heavy**.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

True. The heat from the lamp might be enough in the OP's case, assuming few hundred watts of halogen.

Be prepared for some plant growth down in the well if it's lit for long periods - theirs had some ferns growing out of the brickwork.

The other interesting feature was a cast-iron well pump - unusual in that the pump body was down the well, coupled by a series of linkages (in iron again) to a pump handle about 8 ft away, next to the spout, which was linked back under the floor and down to the well pump by 2" or so iron pipe.

On the glass - thinking about it, it may have been nearer 3/4" - but as Dave says, it will be insanely heavy... Couple of double-ended suction lifters would be a good investment.

Thinking more, I think that it sat on a gasket in the wooden frame too - probably felt or something similar.

Did I say: "you lucky wotsit!" ?? ;->

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered the condensation but I think it should be alright - the glass will be at or near room temperature and the air in the well should be cooler.

I intented to get suction glass lifters and have worked out that I will be able to get a ladder down inside to maintain the lamps and keep any potential vegetation to a reasonable level.

Reply to
LucyHi

|I intented to get suction glass lifters and have worked out that I will |be able to get a ladder down inside to maintain the lamps and

A proper harness and rope can be purchased from any safety shop. A strong cleat in the wall would be useful. A good strong person at the top would be useful.

|keep any |potential vegetation to a reasonable level.

A timer on the lamps, off at night, only on when you wish to display the well as a feature, would be useful. This would reduce the growth of vegetation.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

replying to Dave Fawthrop, M e wrote: Check out

who done ours. Will supply glass and a frame. laminated and toughened glass. They will also advise or fit the glass so as there is no condensation. Good luck and hope all goes ok.

Reply to
M e

10 years. Is that a record?
Reply to