Gasey smell in bathroom

A unused bathroom has recently developed a chemical/gasey smell ( we dont have gas).

It is diffuse and cant be tracked down to one area or item of equipment

Have flushed and cleaned all wastes etc, but smell still comes and goes.

Checked light fittings and in roof space.

It is worst after getting the bathroom hot and humid.

Have now decided the smell is coming from the walls which were re- emulsioned about a month ago probably with standard emulsion over previous coating of "emulsion for bathrooms".

Is this possible, likely ? If so how do we get rid of it ?

Any other suggestions of sources of smell

Thanks

Robert

royall (at) which net royall at which net

Reply to
look

snipped-for-privacy@end.of.message popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said

Only thing I can think off is (a) dead rodent(s) in the wall. Never heard of emulsion off gassing for over a month.

Reply to
soup

I'd check for a dead bird in the water tank - speaking from experience.

We probably used manky water for about a month before we worked it out ("what's that funny smell? oh must be the shower gel")

This would explain why its worse when

Thats because the hot water in the bath in infused with dead animal flesh.

p.s. don't go up in the loft alone.......

Reply to
Kevin Brady

No water tank. Other showers okay. No smell in loft space. Solid walls. Cant smell anything coming from where the pipes go under the floor boards.

Thanks for the thoughts though. royall at which net

Reply to
look

In message , soup writes

Sounds likely