Gas Question (not DIY)

I didn't think gold was suitable for gas pipes.

Reply to
dennis

You may need some 28mm at the meter to make the run. It needs calculating. Look at the link gave you. It helps you work it out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nope. It worked and saved digging a floor up. The higher pressure gave more gas volume through the pipe. Technically there was nothing wrong with it. Initially the regulator was taken off, but it was thought the meter reader would report it, so it was put back and opened right up.

22mm gas governors are readily available.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:44:00 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" wibbled:

Nothing wrong with it????

Bollocks. The regulator if the gas company's property and interfering with it is at the very least against the contract the householder would have with them.

You said in one breath "illegal" and in another "Technically there was nothing wrong with it."

Reply to
Tim Watts

I said "technically" there is nothing wrong with it. Pre North Sea Gas, there were no meter regulators. Each appliance had a gas governor. Whether the company likes it is another matter.

It is not illegal in law, just not to the company's liking.

Is it dangerous? No. Does it work? Yes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well the regulator fits between the supply and the meter so it increases the pressure in the meter. Without knowing how high the regulator has been wound up and without knowing the limits of the meter you can't know the correct answer.

Reply to
dennis

I do know the limits of the meters (max working pressure 50 mb).

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But would you let Drivel do your gas pipework? Check you insurance policy before answering.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I would charge you £500 for a new run. You deserve to pay lots and lots.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel -it is not me (OP) who is questioning your wisdom. I hope to be able to negotiate the price down after doing some measurements - it wasn't a very well considered estimate.

Reply to
John

House supply used to be 75mBar, regulator is mandatory. BG did routinely tweak the regulator, however I would rather they fix the leaks and fit appliance taps first (rather than deliberately leaving them of).

Reply to
js.b1

Have you done any work in Doncaster recently?

ARWadsworth

thing happened each day.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel