Gas pipe

Am I correct in assuming that standard copper pipe can be used for gas work?

Also, is it acceptable to use compression fittings or should solder fittings be used?

(I have a situation where it will be very difficult to solder one of the joints without setting fire to something..much easier to use a compression fitting)

shokka

Reply to
Shokka

Should you be doing this job?

I usually put a piece of wide alluminium or tin behind the job if its permissable.

Reply to
ben

Is he the right person to be asking that question?

Reply to
Rob Morley

hi, copper pipe can be used for gas, and compression fittings are ok t use aswell, PS, unless your suitably qualified dont touch gas,employ CORGI regestered gas engineer

-- pacer

Reply to
pacer

Yes,it is acceptable.

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

See the gas fitting faq:

F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

And then think very seriously if you should be doing the job (?).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

People come on here to ask advice about things they don't know or need clarification on. Presumably the guy can make OK plumbing joints otherwise he wouldn't be undertaking the job. If you can make an OK water joint then you can make an OK gas joint. It ain't exactly rocket science, is it?

All he was asking was whether a commpression joint was an acceptable way to make a gas joint, not whether it'd work or not. In other words seeking clarification of the current regulations and accepted "best practice". This news group is all about learning more about DIY and how to do jobs properly.

Perhaps the answer to *any* question on uk.d-i-y should be "If you don't know the answer then you shouldn't be undertaking the job".

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Those spare tiles you kept but never used are also useful for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The obvious answer to that, would be his first question.

Reply to
ben

Is all copper pipe created equal?Are there different types? Perhaps gas needs to use copper with a thicker wall?

Seems sensible to confirm what can be used before starting, doesn't it?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

If I were totally against people learning on the job why would I have assembled the gas fitting FAQ? For which I get flak (from a few) and thanks (from more).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There's a limit to DIY, and gas is one of them.

Let's supposing you bought a house and the previous owner was a keen DIY'er, the previous owner fitted all his own gas installation, 2 weeks after moving into the property there's a gas explosion and one of your children died as a result...would you have the previous owner up in court or would you just sit back and do nothing?

Reply to
ben

Even if it were installed professionally you'd have the installer in court. There are probably more problems with rogue "professional" fitters than DIYers.

Of course your child could be electrocuted too from faulty DIY work. Is electricity off limits?

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

[snip]

Yes but you could sue the company that employed this pro(alledgedly), where as alls you would get from the DIY'er is a few months in clink.

Chances are the child would survive an electrical shock.. gas explosion I think not.

Reply to
ben

But what if the gas installation had been installed by a DIY'er but completely sound and safe for 2-5 years before the sale?

I'd have imagined that if it's lasted that long, it's pretty much as safe as any other installation. The only issues I can think of are:

1.) Lack of maintainance 2.) Joints failing 3.) Corrosion of pipework 4.) External damage

1.) - This is the same whether pro installed or DIY

2.) - Maybe a DIYer would use more compression joints, causing possibility of increased failure? 3.) - Maybe a DIYer didn't understand the interaction between copper and other materials - I'd hope a pro would 4.) - If someone's stuck a nail etc through a gas pipe - it sure isn't the installer's problem (unless he stuck it somewhere stupid - see earlier thread about gas pipe + floorboards).

Again - I would have assumed that in general, if an installation has been safe for a few years - the chances of a problem occuring due to installation is low.

Am I right?

David Hearn

Some gas stuff is quite DIYable.

It would of course depend on why the explosion happened. I also doubt whether or not to prosecute would be one's own perogative.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why?

He could have done DIY wall removal and the entire house collapsed. Killing everyone. So what's the difference?

Most dangerous bodges are done by cowboy 'builders' - not DIYers on their own homes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really think cowboy builders or unregistered gas installers will be able to be sued?

Have you any statistics on the number of serious explosions caused by DIY gas work?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote: [snip]

lol didn't you watch..."Britains worst DIY'ers".

Reply to
ben