gas oven/grill problems - likelihood of (part-)condemnation?

Hi All we have a problem with the grill on our 20+ year old gas oven. It's the type that you can use as an oven or a grill, but not at the same time.

The problem is that the flame(s) on the grill have become very small, and it hardly generates any heat. The flames are blue rather than yellow, but it 'sputters' a lot & is generally useless. I've taken off the body of the grill 'burner' and have checked that the jet is not blocked; no change. (I posted on this to uk.d-i-y some time ago)

Since the oven works fine I wonder whether the control knob is broken or blocked in some way in 'grill' mode. That feels a bit beyond my level of competance so I am reluctantly thinking of 'getting a man in' to take a look.

I do have a concern about this given the stories I've heard about gas 'engineers' condemning fires for the slightest reason. So my question is:

If the grill part is determined to be faulty/beyond repair, is a gas engineer likely to condemn the whole oven, or just the grill part?

We will need a new oven this winter but I'd like to eke things out a bit longer, and don't want to be forced to buy a new one without a bit of notice & planning.

Thanks for any info J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper