Gas Leak following New Heating Installation

Was the electricity still on? Could someone have flicked a switch?

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes, I was occupying the house. I was at work when the meter was changed. I'd asked a neighbour to let them in.

Yes, If I'd been later home from work and it had been dark, I probably would have flicked the hall light switch and .....

Reply to
B Thumbs

True, although I have to wonder about the long term viability of the cost base for said industry that is implied.

I smell short change and lowering of standards all around in order to make it easier to get more school leavers into post-16 education or training of some kind.

In Rover's case I think it's a combination of this, a lack of investment and a hang-over from the culture of the past.

The reality is that as a business and as a culture, it was untenable

30 years ago and has limped from crisis to crisis with nobody having the bottle to put it out of its misery because it was too much of a political hot potato.

... and the will on the part of customers to pay rather than just buying on price alone.

Reply to
Andy Hall

For this reason CORGI now investigate complaints about heating installations in general (eg. radiators not getting hot enough). This is because such investigations often uncover irregularities concerning the gas fitting aspects of the job.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Although I've never forgotten to solder up a joint I did have an unfortunate experience like this once.

I soldered up a 28mm gas supply. I believed the solder had run around the fitting (it certainly had over the 90% that was visible), the pipe work passed a standard tightness test. The next week the customer complained about a smell of gas so I was around pronto. Turned out the joint had started leaking a little and off course it now failed the drop test. In fairness to myself I'd say the location was quite awkward but it highlights the point of using a dental mirror to inspect the joints. In this case getting a mirror behind would have been hard (which is probably why the solder didn't take). However the lesson is always that you _will_ make time to put mistakes right so you might as well check things very carefully to begin with.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

But there always seems to be enough people who buy BMW, Merc etc.

MM

Reply to
MM