Gas Cooker off mains?!

I am about to move house where in the kitchen is a gas cooker, with a plug connected to the electricity supply. I am wondering what this does. If does not need mains connection, this will be great as it frees up the only power point in the kitchen! My guess is that it maybe a charging circuit for the ignitor battery? Your help would be appreciated.

Regards

Reply to
Curious Mind

I would think you are right. I have a lead for the hob and a lead for the oven. Though if it runs a charger or a just a transformer psu I don't know, but with 10 sockets in the kitchen it's not a problem for me.

Reply to
Essjay001

It's plug in to the electric to stop you buying batteries to make the spark work and the light in the oven come on. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

I understand that BW, but does it recharge batteries or is it a power supply for a spark generator. I would think the latter rather than the former given that keeping a rechargeable battery continously topped up is not good for the battery.

Steve R

-- One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Reply to
Essjay001

I've not known any that use a rechargeable battery. After all, in the event of a mains failure you could use a match...

Might have a back up battery if there's a clock/timer, though, but then again I doubt it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Unplug it temporarily and see what difference it makes. If there's a battery or capacitor involved, none. If not, then it won't fire automatically.

W.

a power

than the

topped up

in the

but then

Reply to
Woodspoiler

You should seriously consider adding some sockets in your kitchen. One is not enough. You really should have at least 5 double sockets, and more if your appliances aren't off an FCU and plug into a normal socket themselves.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle