Garden shed with tiled roof? Planning?

Wife wants a new garden shed not to have a felt roof.

No problems with slapping stronger rafters and tiling it but...will this make it permament and therefore under planning/BCO regs...

Since I need the BCO around anyway elsewhere, can't just do it on the QT.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is still a temporary building, so if it is the right size and position, etc. will not need pp even with a tiled roof.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

How about felt shingles? I just used some on a pergola I built to shelter the BBQ and they look just like tiles at a casual glance.

I got mine from Wickes in red, but there are lots of different ones

David Lang

Not quite sure of the planning on sheds, but I thought that providing it is not a permanent fixture like with footing and foundations there was not planning required. On the aspect of roof covering, take a look at cedar wood shingles.

Reply to
keith_765

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago with a cabin, although wanted to use cedar shakes rather than tiles. The construction was to use a standard boarding arrangement, felt on top of that (which would have been the normal felt roof), then to batten and attach the shakes to that.

I chose a cabin building with low roof pitch so that I could get reasonable floor area without needing to go too high. As you probably know, their are criteria for area, height, distance from house, proportion of plot use etc.

I talked to both the local building control and planning people about it and each asked about their relevant set of parameters. The main one was use (i.e. was I going to use it as habitable space.). I'd done my homework and had made sure that I was within all of the rules, so was prepared with answers for all their questions.

I specifically asked about the roof, and it didn't make a difference.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thx. Its an idea allright.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Great. Its for tool storage and garden machinery, but since the one 100 yards down the garden got jemmied open by some chavs who came across the fields, I want one right near the house where it has to conform to SWMBOCO

As against BCO...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

... and as we know, this is something to be reckoned with to a far greater extent than anybody from the council.

Reply to
Andy Hall