Garden pump

I need a garden water pump to raise water two metres from the adjacent canal to my small lawn. I'd be interested to hear recommendations on brand and any other advice.

Reply to
James

Good luck! :-)

'Pond pumps' seem to have random reliability in my experience, price is no guide. If a submersible pump would do what you need then I'd personally go for the cheapest you can see on eBay or similar. As regards mains or 12v then I'd personally go for 12v but it all depends on how easily you can provide power of either voltage.

How much water do you actually want?

If you want a non-submersible pump then I don't really have any experience.

Reply to
Chris Green

presumably you have permission from the canal owner?

Reply to
charles

James was thinking very hard :

I don't think water extraction from a canal is allowed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

That was not the question.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't suppose anyone is going to notice unless the OP installs a very big pump!

Reply to
Chris Green

The Natural Philosopher has brought this to us :

Perhaps the OP wasn't aware?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

but, if it isn't, any answer is helping someone break the law. That's conspiracy

Reply to
charles

I use a 12V pump non-submersible purchased cheaply from Ebay to pump de-onised water up a 18 foot window washing pole for washing upstairs windows. The only slight problem is priming it in the first place. It's meant to be self priming but it will not prime properly if the pole and connecting hose is connected. I first have to remove the output hose and pole and then water pumps freely. I can then switch off the pump, connect the hose/pole and turn the pump on again where it now works without problems.

I paid £16 for the pump (100psi 6Litres/minute) and £14 for a mains to

12V supply Water and mains electricity don't mix so a waterproof enclosure is required for the power supply
Reply to
alan_m

you don't need to do this conecting/disconnecting routine. You only have to fit a non-return valve mechanism at the suction point. A one-way plastic hose connector at the inlet to the pump will do the same.

Reply to
gopalansampath

Firstly, are you actually allowed to pump water from the canal onto your lawn. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Only if legally permitted: large paddle wheel, on it a spiral of hosepipe. Water enters the open hose end, and slow rotation moves the water up toward the centre of the wheel, where a coupling free to rotate dumps it into stationary hose. Downside is size.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I am, but I should have been clearer: it's advice about the pump that I want.

Reply to
James

But it is the answer.

Reply to