Garden Fencing

Totally agreed about 'unless you hit'. And our soil isn't soil - it is flints embedded in very thick sticky mud - with the odd brick or lump of concrete. But actually, I think they usually look pretty horrible wherever they are - unless hidden behind bushes.

Reply to
Rod

Cheers guys

Decided to go down the concrete route I think

WIll probably start in a few weeks as I need to clear out my garden - will post soem pcis if I remember!!

Reply to
mo

You don't live in Kent by any chance? Same here, heavy clay & flints the size of bricks in many areas.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's a very good point - one that I had overlooked. I was planning to put up a 6 foot high 100 foot long featherboard fence with concrete posts single handed.

From your experience do you think they are "draggable" over level ground by one person?

CRB

Reply to
crb

Hmmm. Depends on the person :-) Geoff Capes could shift them easily I'm sure.

I'm a big strapping lad, ex weightlifter and considered to be pretty strong. Best I can manage single handed is to flip them end over end and move 16' at a time IYSWIM. Thats on grass, if the post landed on anything like a rock I'm sure it would chip.

I can just about lift one & position it in the hole, but its not easy. Two man job IME.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nice job. The green colour looks excellent.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

Your post (no pun intended) made me wonder how much an 8' concrete post actually weighs. Brief look on the interweb indicates between 50 & 60 kgs - which feels about right.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or use some sort of pulley , lift, hoist, ingenuity, etc

Reply to
tony sayer

Wimp Equivalent in weight to a bag of coal, but easier to handle.

-
Reply to
Mark

I have to pinch myself when thinking about pre-WW1 coal sacks being 2 cwt each. Amazing to think of that as being normal. Not sure if I could ever have lifted one, at all.

Reply to
Rod

Well put it another way An 8ft post is about 66Kg The same as a slim size10 blond, weighing just over 10 stone. How much trouble do you have picking one of them up. ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

Now *that* depends on compliancy. And concrete posts ain't exactly compliant.

But funnily enough, *they* seem to get easier to pick up the heavier they get. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Oh yeh? Can you pick one up then? Or is this just theory?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I doubt they were ever *lifted* as such. Dragged to the back of the lorry by the boy and tipped onto the coalman's shoulder.

The standard hessian sack for agricultural use held 2.25cwt of wheat. (W.W.II to the '50's). Once again nobody lifted them. We had an incredibly dangerous sack hoist where you cranked the thing up to shoulder height. The danger came from the indifferent pawl/ratchet which held it up there. Combine harvesters and various means of moving loose grain stopped this long before elfin safety came on the scene.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ok - I doubt I could stagger with 2 cwt on my shoulders.

In fact, I am quite glad that bag sizes are so small these days. :-)

Reply to
Rod

A bag of coal is a hundredweight=50Kg, yes easy and a lot harder to lift off the ground then a concrete post. The standard adult training dummy used by the rescue services is also 50Kg, down from the 76Kg of days past to give the wimps and girlies a chance. If you cant lift a small adult and carry them a few feet fine, Just reconsider the "I'm a big strapping lad, ex weightlifter" BS.

-
Reply to
Mark

Where do they sell 50kg bags of coal? I've only ever seen 25kg?

There is a huge difference between carrying a bag of coal or a rescue dummy & a fence post. Bag or dummy can be carried with the weight evenly distributed on the shoulders. Concrete post is much harder.

The origional question was can you carry an 8' concrete post, not a bag of coal/dummy/woman. If so, why don't we see you on 'Britains Stroongest Man'?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That was surely 'a traditional bag of coal like coalman, the type who had a leather back protector, used to have on the back of his lorry alongside his scales was a hundredweight which is approximately 50 kg'? :-)

Reply to
Rod

Any coal merchant, they also sell half bags for collection by wimps

> The origional question was can you carry an 8' concrete post, not a bag of

Yes I can and have shifted dozen's+ of the B* things over the years a pair of leather gloves on my shoulder as a cushion 60Kg is not that heavy and a fence post is an easy lift for most reasonably fit people even if you are the wrong side of 60 like me..

-
Reply to
Mark

It exceeds the HSE guideline by a huge amount and it would be completely irresponsible to suggest that anyone should even try it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman