Garage electrical supply: advice welcomed

Yes, on reflection I think it would...

Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Nope - if you thing of a ring, there are two routes for the neutral and two for the line at each socket. Adding a switch as described just has the effect of opening the ring into two radials (for which the cables are now inadequately sized).

Reply to
John Rumm

Precisely - a pair of radials in fact - both still connected to the CU.

You could - creating a "figure of eight" circuit topology, although not much point...

Well I concluded it was in the end. The "emergency stop" type of functionality makes sense in a room with several people working - that way if someone gets into trouble, someone else can kill the power from wherever they are. In a domestic environment its less convincing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Floor mounted and accessible push buttons near every fixed power tool, linked to a circuit breaker cutting power to everything except the lighting makes very good sense, especially if your workshop is out of shouting range of the house, or you are in it when everyone else is out. Linking the circuit breaker to an alarm outside the workshop is also a good idea, as is an intercom system or auto answering hands-free phone.

I'd say that an accessible emergency cut-off for all workshop power was more important in the domestic setting than in a commercial workshop, as you are the only safety back-up.

Reply to
John Williamson

The limitation in my workshop is the "fixed" bit. Even the table saw is on a wheeled dolly so that it can be moved to the most handy place for the job. Alas one of the limitations of a 17 x 12' space.

So the only practical place for the stop buttons would be on the wall, and that will often be further away than the built in NVR on the tool.

You can only be in one place at a time though. Decent RCD protection and a phone are obviously worth having. Not convinced about the cut switch (which would actually do more harm than good on some tools. My mitre saw has electric breaking for example, so stops much quicker when still powered).

Reply to
John Rumm