Gadget to sense if window is open...

and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left right and centre!

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

A bell, a battery and a pair of magnetic window alarm contacts.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

one's like these.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

needs control box to work. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I hope you *are* joking...

However, the contacts will probably burn out quite quickly, especially if the OP takes the advice literally and gets a real bell with a coil in it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nope, he needs a cheap alarm panel as many contacts he has windows, the bell can be sited in the box depending on whether the box has its own built in sounder?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

But why will it keep ringing when the window is shut?

And he said 'window' not 'windows'...anyway, ever heard of wiring in series?

I still think the contacts would burn out...

Reply to
Bob Eager

They won't burn out as they are wired in a alarm panel, forget the bell I realise now what he's asking... when the windows are open the radiator switches off and vise versa.

So he'd need a 12volt relay attached to where the bell feed +&- would normally go, relay with contacts n/o,n/c with a rating of 240volts (he doesn't say what type of radiator here)? lets assume a electric room radiater, he would need a 240v feed in alarm panel the negative to common of the relay contacts(no,nc) take the radiator cable also into the panel connect it's nuetral to (no) contact and then connect the live feed to the live of the radiator.

So now when the window/s is open the radiator turns off. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Common method for staff to check whether the radiator is working is to touch it. Arrange things electrically so that if any windows are open, then the radiator is electrified to a few kV. That way, they will naturally check if windows are open before checking the radiator for heat. If they fail in that mission, the shock from the radiator will keep them warm for a few minutes so.....

OK, Forget the windows, heating etc...

Just wire their metal chairs to a few kV of alternating current and let muscle contraction/relaxtion provide the heating mechanism.

:-)

Reply to
Adrian C

Lock the windows.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes.

Go to this URL and select section 5, subsection 55

then look at the AXT 111 series.

these types operate by pushing the plunger in the TRV body to close the valve.

The AXT111 does this with a thermal capsule and can be used for on/off operation with a thermostat, or a switch You can get these from ControlCenter (Wolseley Group) - about £30 IIRC.

They directly replace the TRV head.

Basically, then you need a room thermostat, a source of 24v and a switch contact for the window.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not the original question, but this post from Andy has reminded me of these devices.

Does Andy - or anyone else - have any thoughts about using these devices to create an S-Plan++++ heating system, with an individual zone for each room? The optional auxilliary contacts could presumably be used to switch the boiler in the same way as when conventional zone valves are used?

The idea of having a programmable stat in each room appeals - so that each room can then be heated according to its usage. However, it then gets a bit laborious when you want to use the Party or Holiday settings - and there are umpteen stats to tweek. Maybe you can use an additional programmable stat, with very high or very low setpoints as a master on/off feed for the others? Or maybe a better solution would be to control the whole lot by a central computer - with temperature sensors rather than stats in each room?

Reply to
Set Square

I'm in the process of doing it (long term project), but not using that head, rather the AXM 117S. These have a positioner and are voltage controlled with 0-10vdc. Thus one can open them to any point and create analogue control of the valve.

This could be done with the AXT, but one would have to pulse the power on and off or do some other form of control to achieve part opening.

I'm taking the approach of a centralised controller because that also allows things like priorities to be arranged - e.g. I'd like rooms A,B,C to be heated before D,E,F.

Temperature sensors are the little digital ibutton types and I've played with several types. The Dallas/Maxim DS1920 is the archetypal one.

Numerous issues come into play though. Obvious ones are heat migration between rooms through surfaces and people leaving doors open. Clearly one doesn't want something that forces people into inconvenient things.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hire staff with sufficient braincells - a functioning human brain attached to a human body could perform the task.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I employ only women....hence my problem ;-)

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

looks good, but a lot of hassle...if only a wireless version existed. sommat I could stick to the window frame and when opened, would tell the rad valve to turn off. the rad valve could also be battery powered or mains powered as is easier to tap off a cable beneath the floor boards.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

This was the Rolls Royce solution, so that you would have something against which to consider your level of pain.

Actually, Honeywell do a wireless system - Hometronic - which does all that you want.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah, then I have the perfect solution. Tell them that if they pay attention to the windows, you will leave the loo seat down. That usually works with women, for most this is a crusade.

If that doesn't work, it's time for the clingfilm....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wouldn't that make rather a mess over the loo?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly.....

Reply to