Gabions

...the F are you doing replying to your own posts ? ....

Ho hee ho

Reply to
Jim K..

Split personality sharing same account? Ho hee

Reply to
Jim K..

Don't flatter him! :-)

Reply to
Jim K..

There fixed it for you Ho ho

Reply to
Jim K..

should they be neatly filled or does it not matter? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

google will not help you .....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

what ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

and why not? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

He?s a trouble making troll.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Just the outward faces have whatever your chosen facing stacked neatly, behind the facing the usual material us some form of coarse stone chips shovelled in.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In general I thing gabions are unattractive. But they're functional. If I was in the position of filling gabions, I'd include quite a lot of soil along with the stone, and into the sides I'd plant perennials that like that situation, i.e. that like growing in walls, like good drainage and tolerate dry conditions, to mask the stones and wire.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

What are you doing with them, retaining an embankment, or containing a blast from a vehicle bourn IED?

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm sure an expert on everything like you could have given me an answer if you could have found it on google....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

it was years ago a guy building a house had attempted to build a retaining wall behind his house using light weight concrete blocks......I wouldn't accept it and suggested gabions.....so he got the cages and started filling them with all sorts of rubble and old brickwork in a very random fashion ....so I called in out pet Engineer and he said that was acceptable.......just didn't look right to me as every other gabion wall I had seen had the stone nicely packed ......just asking

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

For good appearance, the visible face does need to be neatly packed. A mate of mine who did it reckons that significantly increases the "build time". I do quite like the other idea of including earth too, so that you can end up with a creeper facing.

Reply to
newshound

So, did you go through all 9 million results for 'gabion' or jiust the 232,00 results for 'filling gabion baskets' bedore reaching that conclusion?

Reply to
Terry Casey

Depends where you are putting them. I usually put even stones all around the edges and fill in the middle with whatever's left over. What's more important from a strength and stability point of view, is that you put tie wires from back to front and end to end.

How many of those you need is obviously dependent on the size of the baskets you are using. I can give you more detailed intructions if you need them.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Billy Bunter is just trolling I reckon. Seriously, has ANYONE said ?tee hee? since him?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Does anyone know what happens to a gabion retaining wall when the steel baskets have rusted away? Is it meant to have filled up with enough earth and vegetation by then that it just stays put, maybe helped by interlocking stones in the fill?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Whether it all stays put depends on the stacking arrangement & horizontal loads, plus whether deep rooted vegetation has taken hold. That's why they're not permitted to be used as part of a house construction.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr