Fuse Dilemma

Here is what you need with loop in wiring:

That can all be done from a ceiling rose with one additional terminal required:

John Rumm

I don't know of any British Standard or other requirement but it is common for a winding to have some internal thermal protection. It only takes a shorted turn or similar failure for the device to overheat and melt a housing, yet not draw sufficient current for a fuse to blow.

I'm therefore sceptical of the enhanced safety using a 3 Amp fuse in the OP's example as opposed to a 5 or 6 Amp MCB.

I am aware of the control circuitry for a fan with an internal timer, using discrete ICs and thyristor, but I still don't see the advantage.

Reply to
Fredxx

They're not **that** difficult to find. I have a load of 2 amp ones which were a bit of a nuisance to be honest because they were the only ones I could find that fitted into the CU on my boat. I kept tripping them when I tried to run the vacuum cleaner or an electric heater on those circuits. I have since replaced them with more suitable ratings (it wasn't totally trivial because they were two pole breakers that disconnect both live and neutral).

Reply to
Chris Green

One coould in fact use a 3 terminal wago connector provided there was room in the ceiling rose..

Or alternatively, use a round dry lining box behind the exisiting rose for more room/

Reply to
SH

fusing the neutral would get round that :) (don't)

Reply to
Animal