FTTS (Fibre to the shed)

The local electrical wholesaler does 50M cut lengths of CAT6 for next to no thing. The idea of running two is good.

All the CAT6 modules, weather resistant boxes, conduit, etc, etc cost next to nothing, but add them together and it?ll have to wait till after pay day!

I have made a start by swapping the one in one out 16A Commandos for a pair of Commando socket outlets (the High Tuff will enter fixed rather than via a commando input.)

So I will have 2 outlets down there For when my daughter wants heat / light in her shed (she has declined having a permanent connection).

Reply to
cpvh

As to why the prejudice against fibre, I think my boss?s thinking w as partly that on a University campus (as we were at work) diffent building s could / would be on different phases / earth potential.

Also there is the danger that copper could be struck by lightening (but the n so could the mains, and I doubt there would be anything left of the switc hes / transceivers.

Reply to
cpvh

nothing. The idea of running two is good.

t to nothing, but add them together and it?ll have to wait till aft er pay day!

So just fit the cable. You only need the other stuff when/if you come to us e it.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

I need to get permission from ?The Management? to dig, and I Won?t get that until the stuff she has recently plant ed comes out in September. So no point rushing out. However I have 4 CAT5 runs in the house installed by bodgeit and scarper a couple of years ago which aren?t right, so I shall buy some modules and see if I can get those going.

Reply to
cpvh

I've got exterior grade CAT5e out to here. It carries gigabit fine. It's in a conduit, and when gigabit becomes a limiting factor I'll replace it with a fibre.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris