Frost free upright freezer problem. Long Post

I had an old appliance which developed bad contacts on the mechanical time switch for the defrost cycle. For a while it was fixable, but eventually needed replacement.
It had a secondary related problem in that the drain tube (which, as seems usual, ran to a plastic tray on top of the compressor) had become blocked, so the melted ice was not draining away.
This leads to another caution - if you have had to do a serious manual defrost, the amount of water liberated will most likely be more than the catch tray can hold, so will probably overflow onto your flooring.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

On 29/09/2017 17:30, Bob Minchin wrote:

We had this some years back on a Whirlpool- it took their engineers ages to fix it - it was a simple timer sticking. We lost several freezer loads of food, it cost Whirlpool a fortunate.
As for defrosting manually, we 'turn around' ours in half a day or so. We have several freezers (we stock up on meat, fish etc at CostCo) and run one down so we can defrost one.

Brian Reay wrote:

I defrost our conventional fridge freezer four times per year using a hair dryer. It takes less than 30 minutes to do this and gives me the chance to clean all of the drawers, chuck out of date stuff and clean the inside of the cabinet and the seals. People with frost free will probably not clean etc as they see no need. Sad is this. There is no way that a frost free appliance will ever enter our kitchen. Apart from insulation failure which is very rare these day there are two things that can fail with my conventional fridge freezer - thermostat = ?10 or less ---- compressor which is end of days. Now, take a look at the workings of a frost free lump of shit .....................

Yes, I don’t bother.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Yes, you are that terminal a fuckwit.

Havent had any of mine fail, ever.

Mine have been fine for over a decade now.