Fridge Freezers

Now at the stage where about the only thing left to do with the kitchen is to get a new fridge freezer. Looking for a 50/50 built in jobby.

I've been having a rummage around on the web and have come across a bewildering number of suppliers, whose prices seem fairly consistent (and about 75% of the electrical sheds). So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for online supplies to use or avoid. I prefer to use "real" shops, but with savings in the region of £100-200 (depending on model) in the offing, it looks as though this online shopping might have something going for it.

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

For domestic appliances, shops offer no value at all apart from being able to go and look at some models before you buy.

In most cases, manufacturers are doing direct to customer delivery to reduce cost since the more hands and warehouses something passes through, the more the cost and the more likely it is to get damaged.

In effect, whether you buy from a shop or an on-line place, an order gets entered on the manufacturer and you receive the product usually directly from the manufacturer more and more.

As far as service is concerned, either manufacturers have their own operation or they sub it out to local one man operations.

So, the only issue is protecting yourself in the event of an issue with the purchase. your contract is with the shop or the online seller, not the manufacturer. You can protect yourself quite effectively by buying with a credit card - this way the card company becomes liable with the seller so that even if the seller goes broke you have protection With recent legislation on distance selling, you have even more rights such as the ability to return goods for any reason in a short time.

In terms of where to buy, I would just use Google. There are numerous sites that will give you the best price - but don't rely on one, then also they have reviews from individuals about how that trader performs.

You may find places like John Lewis running the same higher prices on line as in their stores, but then sweetening with a 5 year warranty or something like that. If that's useful to you, then it may be a factor in your decision.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

despite my problems having a washing machine delivered in one piece from Siemens (see earlier post), I ordered from BE Direct

They have been very helpful in sorting out my problems with siemens, and their prices are very good.

Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

In article , Kerry Hoskin writes

Thanks for that, I'll bear them in mind.

Other suggestions still welcomed.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

I got mine from something or other like direct electrical or summat.

The Liebherr model - built in.

It is much better than most you see down the sheds, and was shipped direct - the vendor was just a broker.

Just google on liebherr fridge freezer and see who comes up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used QED. One of the items (unusual integrated 1600 spin AAA Smeg WM) was out of stock when ordered. However, they kept me informed of progress regularly by email, and let me know that I could cancel or change my order at any time should I wish. BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a Miller Brother's van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Here is your clue.....

QUALITY ELECTRICAL DIRECT LTD MILLER HOUSE SHAW LANE DONCASTER SOUTH YORKSHIRE DN2 4SQ

MILLER BROTHERS (ELECTRICAL) LTD MILLER HOUSE SHAW LANE DONCASTER DN2 4SQ

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What a surprise! ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yup, owned by the same Millers. You'd think that QED would trumpet the Miller Bros name to give themselves credibility as an online supplier, however they go to great lengths to keep it under wraps, presumably to stop customers in the shops demanding the QED price? Interestingly they often use the 'Miller Bros' price as the high street comparator price on QED - and Miller Bros themselves aren't badly priced.

I've used QED a couple of times and they were really good. Only disadvantage was you couldn't pick your delivery time; they give you a date maybe a week in the future, presumably by which time they've got enough orders in your area to make a drop-off worthwhile to them. But a small price to pay for the savings.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not that hard. A look on both web sites reveals the same postcode in Doncaster, and a search at Companies House gives the full addresses.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Recommended QED to my Dad and the delivery was appalling but I bought a cooker for my son from Appliance-world.co.uk and they were really good and very competitive

Reply to
rition

In article , Christian McArdle writes

I've known Miller Bros. since it was run by the Bros. and they have an outstanding service record. I'm quite impressed at the way they've transformed an old-fashioned family business into a twenty first century one without losing touch with their customers.

John

Reply to
John Rouse