Fridge freezer door seal repair advice please

Dear All,

Does anyone know what refrigerator door seals might be made of?

I know they have a magnetic insert. Is the actual seal PVC perhaps?

I have read you can extend their life by smearing with vaseline

I am trying to extend the life of our dated (possibly 1980s, it has chrome trimmed, brown inner circular recessed door handles) Hotpoint Iced Diamond fridge freezer.

The seals are damaged so I was going to fit some more modern ones I acquired at our local tip however they are a different size so will need cutting down and gluing.

Otherwise does anyone know of a source for such items. I cannot find the model number on the unit itself.

The case is 20.75" wide by 55.5" tall by 20" deep if that helps with model identification.

Many thanks,

Nick

Reply to
nick

Model number is normally on a label on the back. You won't get very far without that. I just measured a 20 year old Iced Diamond fridge and it's a few inches different from yours. When new, the model number is also in the middle of that circular handle, but that rubs off.

Hotpoint is now owned by Merloni Brothers, whose main trading name is Indesit. Searching for spares from their website ends up at:

may also have them, but you have to phone them as most of their white goods spares are not in their catalogue or online.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for that.

I've tried looking everywhere for a model number without success. It probably has worn off as you say. I can't find one on the rear.

I may well try the people that you suggest.

Does anybody know if the seals are PVC?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
nick

It must have a rating plate somewhere to give not only the electrical ratings but how much it can freeze in 24hrs and what the refrigerant is.

Looked inside?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks.

I'll look harder still, I thought it would be obvious.

I can't see anything inside though.

Regards,

Nick

Reply to
nick

I looked inside again and you were quite right.

The label is rather tatty and hidden behind the salad tray.

This should help in spares locations a great deal.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Reply to
nick

Hi,

If it's just cosmetic damage, sometimes the seal can be turned 180=B0 top to bottom so the damage is hidden.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks for that, the damage is a bit more terminal than that though, causing water leakage.

I'm hoping to splice a reclaimed seal assuming it is PVC and I can glue it.

I've seen universal seals however I don't know if they will work with our fridge as the seal is sandwiched between door and inner.

anyone have any experience of these?

Regards,

Nick

Reply to