Fridge/Freezer Auto-defrost failure

The manual says [quote] Freezer The freezer compartment of this model is of the «frost- free» type. This means that no frosting occurs on the inner walls of the compartment or on food during operation. The absence of frosting is achieved by constant circulation of cold air inside the compartment, produced by an automatic fan blower. [/quote]

Has the fan failed?

Question our Zanussi Electrolux Frost Free ZNB3240 frost free frdge freezer - 5 years old - seems to have stopped being frost free. I had to manually defrost the freezer bit, the fridge ices up at above setting 1. I no longer hear the motor/fan which I think I used to hear to periodically defrost the freezer.

Answer Hello Chris, if the fan motor inside the freezer is no longer running, this would create problems such as the freezing of the evaporator coil. Because the coldness of the coil is not dissipated in the freezer. What you can do is remove all drawers in the freezer and remove the inside back wall of the freezer. This would exposed the fan in the freezer as well as how frosted the evaporator coil is. Please tell me how frosted the evaporator coil is. And if the fan is running or not.

Spare fan new £60

Maybe the fan shaft is now rusty and doesn't rotate cleanly - Lubricating the shaft as it goes through the bearings may free it.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks, the fan is fine after a defrost with a nice blast of air when the thermostat clicks in. It relies on the top shelf (fast freezer tray) to allow airflow and that is another bit of training for SWMBO to not overfill - it is only meant for "quick" freezing and then the items are supposed to be moved as it is quite a shallow tray.

Why can't designers make things SWMBO proof? She has to:

a) not block the drain hole in the fridge b) not overfill the fast freezer tray

It's all too much.

Reply to
AnthonyL

See this so that you know what one looks like:

JohnP