French card does the opposite to UK ones

Re the recent discussion about credit/debit cards, my French one (BRED/Banque Populaire) has just been renewed and that has changed from being an un-embossed one to being embossed. Both the card number and my name 'stick out' on the new card.

How odd! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

It's French......

Reply to
Davey

Chris Green snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote

Typical mindless frog bullshit. Presumably for blind people.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My new, unembossed, and strangely plain silver Barclaycard has a round notch one end. Maybe they assume that everyone's blind.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, my new UK cards have that too.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well they do drive on the other side of the road...

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

My M&S Card also has a knotch.

Reply to
charles

It is a lot easier to make all cards the same than to make ones specifically for individual groups. I only have one of the new smooth cards so far, which look too much like hotel room key cards to me, but it has an arrow printed on one end, which would have been a help to my late partner. She was never sure which end of the car to insert in any machine. BTW they also have Braille symbols embossed on them, which I presume vary between credit and debit and personal and business cards.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

They have a card that works as well for blind people.

Maybe the frog cards work better for blind people who have more than one card in the household or something.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What a pain if you are buying something online from a site where you have not stored your card details (I never allow any site to store card details) and you have to enter the long card number.

This is going to annoy a lot of people

Reply to
Andrew

How will entering a printed number annoy more people than entering an embossed one?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

In my case only by the fact that the non-embossed numbers wear away. I have have to replace the same card three times, within its lifetime, due to numbers becoming too difficult to read, without good daylight.

Reply to
SteveW

Not my experience with the printed number on my Tesco Clubcard, which is many years old. Some of the embossed numbers on other cards have, however, become difficult to read now the colour applied to them has worn off.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Some systems like Roboform allow you to store all your stuff like card details and it will fill any form in with those details.

And you can just use paypal so no site ever sees your card details.

Only those who don't have a clue.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never had that myself and trivial to record them in a secure place so you never need to be able to read the physical card again.

Reply to
Rod Speed

My new Lloyds visa is embossed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How does an unembossed card work if there is a power failure and they need to use the three part paper system with the imprinter machine?

Reply to
Scott

Mine certainly would be no use - it has no numbers on it at all for security reasons. They are only in the bank's app on my phone. My other bank offers multiple virtual cards that don't exist physically at all. I do have an embossed card to but I don't think many establishments have an machine any more.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Do the banks still accept the paper vouchers?

Reply to
Scott

The card companies still do as far as I know - less sure about banks. It's probably 25 years since I last saw a paper one.

Reply to
Bob Henson