freezer repairs?

Hi,

SWMBO said the freezer stopped working and would not get cold.We had the old freezer as a spare in the garage, so we were able to use that to save the food.

What is likely to have failed or could it just be anything? Are they DIY-repairable or is it time to buy a new one?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I'd start with the obvious: is the fuse blown (does the light come on when you open the door?), does the compressor run?

Reply to
Caecilius

If it sounds normal and doesn't work, you have lost the refrigerant gas. That being the case, junk these days. It could be regassed & the leak fixed but not usually viable moneywise. Unlkess you know someone.

Reply to
harry

Failure could be thermostat, compressor (inc leaks) or current relay.

Compressor is fairly easy - if it isn't making any running noises and compressor body is too hot to touch its probably the compressor. No repair sensible unless you can find a one man band refrigerator repair man who may do it at

Reply to
Peter Parry

How old is it? Is the compressor running and hot?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Well in the main its not fixable unless there are individual systems on freezing and fridge employing thermostats. That is a very general statement, so somebody will no doubt find a situation which is able to be fixed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You'd need to give us a whole lot more clues than that!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nearly always a leak in the refrigerant circuit not worth repairing

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher