Freeview

A minute factor.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Presumably you've based these figures on your own receiver. Receivers vary wildly in the way signal strength and quality are indicated. Your figures are meaningless.

I installed a receiver today that worked perfectly despite claiming 6/10 quality and 2/10 quantity. In fact the signals were 10dB above threshold and the BER was unmeasurably good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

How many Panasonic products have you tested?

I've prepared 23 assorted receivers for installation in the last three weeks and still I won't generalise.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

  1. It wouldn't work. 13E for example works fine on a minidish in the UK.
  2. It was about cost. Minidishes don't need to be made with the fine tolerance of larger ones; they are transported as a stack of reflectors and a box of bits, so very very compact and light. They don't catch the wind so the mount is very small and frail but it works. Sky like all other good businesses knows just what they can get away with. They have it down to a fine art. An hour's outage due to rain every year will not cause people to cancel their sub.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think it can be said that some TV's are much better than others at showing digital TV images. As Dave Plowman will remember I was very critical of DTV and that was via an adapter on our B&O TV a few years ago.

However after that died we went looking for a replacement and went initially to Richer Sounds where we were quite frankly appalled by the salesman his lack of knowledge of what he was flogging and the TV's there, much the same prolly worse at Curry's and the late unlamented Comet.

We then went to John Lewis where a young lad there who did know a lot more re TV demonstrated a Sony Bravia and one of those we bought and I have to say I've had nothing apart from some aspects of the remote controller to say adverse abut it since. Sure some material isn't too good but in all instances you can see that it wasn't a good source in the first place.

But I have seen some other TV's, various makes, where shall we say the Pix is somewhat "irritating".

The only other adverse aspect and this is with most all panel TV's is the sound but an external amp and speakers has cured that:)..

Reply to
tony sayer