freesat box unused input

Hello,

I have a freesat box that has two inputs but there is only one cable going into the bedroom. Not wanting to climb ladders and fit new LNB and cable etc. just yet, what should do with the unused input? The manual says nothing. Do I leave it alone or should it be terminated?

It is a Humax 1010S. I have one downstairs which has both inputs connected and it is fine. The one upstairs is not working. The display keeps going blank and the machine becomes unresponsive to the remote or the buttons on the front. The only way to rescue it is to unplug the power for a few seconds.

I have tried the factory reset option in he menu and that has not helped.

The firmware is the latest version but that is dated 2016.

Sometimes whilst it is frozen the disk is whirring, not reading or writing, but it is whirring and the box is warm to the touch.

I am going to email humax because I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Sounds like its crashing to me. If its brand new, send it back if not then on some other groups there seem to be several causes from bad capacitors, and dodgy hd to overheating chippery. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Leave it unused ;-)

It should be fine as is.

The humax in a twin tuner machine such that it can record and playback at the same time from different channel bouquets. So to get full functionality from its recording you would need s second feed from either a multi output LNB, or from a multiswitch.

Hard drive whirr when power is on. Can you here any drive access going on at the time?

Probably a good plan.

Reply to
John Rumm

Normally the second LNB feed allows you to view one channel while recording another. With only one feed, you should be able to either view or record, but not both at the same time.

The earlier Humax (eg PVR9200T) had a habit of freezing if you worked the remote while it was still booting the behind-the-scenes software. Try turning it on ans waiting 5 minutes.

If the display is going blank, then something isn't working as I would expect it (but I only have a 9200T and a 9150T here, and they are both Freeview rather than Freesat, so that might be a wrong call).

I would temporarily switch the downstairs and upstairs boxes and see if the single feed works on the known working box. It would also show if the box which becomes unresponsive still does that with two connections.

If the box is warm to the touch, perhaps the air flow isn't good enough? Does the 1010S have a fan? If so, can you see it turning?

I would e-mail Humax, but I would get the additional diagnostics first.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

It's worth doing a 'new install' including letting it load all the Freesat channels. Some early ones acted daft if the channel list was outdated. I don't know why.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Indy Jess John formulated on Wednesday :

Not saying you are wrong, but I seem to remember my sat receiver with single LNB input, allowed watch a channel and record another, providing they were on the same mux(?)..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sky Q uses two lnb feeds (H + V) to do all the channels.

Reply to
dennis

The Humax manual says that the noise is from the fan. Incidentally it must be one of the worst manuals that Humax have ever produced.

I can't wait for the answer. :-)

Reply to
Martin

The two inputs allow you to record any two channels at the same time. Using only one input, you can still record two channels provided they are both have the same polarisation and lie within the same half of the frequency band.

This is because the LNB on the dish is set to one of the four possible combinations of polarisation and frequency by a voltage and a pilot tone sent to it from the recorder. See

Dave W

I have given up trying to understand PVRs. IME they have a female mind of their own where logic and function doesn't operate. All 3 of ours adjust their remote control functions on what seems like a daily basis and I suspect the only way to prevent this is to do a factory reset and reformat the hard drive.

Reply to
Capitol

What they need is a good hard shagging.

Bill