Freeing a stuck plug in a bidet

But I don't *want* a bidet :-)

I'm only trying to resurrect it, because it is there.

Reply to
News

eternal-september.org>, Tim+ writes

Don't knock 'em until you've tried them. Depends a bit on your rear end hirsuosity. If you're hairy arsed, they're great.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , News writes

That was three years ago,and I've just got the plug out :-)

Been dribbling penetrating oil around the stuck plug for the last week, and today got the plug out, or up, easily, using a scalpel blade. Unfortunately, the plug is attached to a rod and only comes up about three inches - otherwise I would bin it, and use a plug on a chain from above.

Anyway, the mechanism is interesting. The plug release, which I thought should lift up and down, actually moves left to right, turning a rod which terminates down below, close to the waste outlet. The connection on the waste outlet is another rod which rotates, lifting or lowering the plug. The two are connected by what is best described as a length of spring which takes the turning action through ninety degrees.

Needless to say, the spring is broken, probably by people trying to lift the plug - it was stuck when we moved here, in 2002. Cannot find anything like it on the web, so plan A is to strip it down, and see if a short length of net curtain wire may suffice, unless anyone has an alternative brilliant idea?

Reply to
News

If you've managed without for 13 years, why bother now? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think I've ever used a bidet, but this one annoys me, just because it sits there, and I know it doesn't work.

Reply to
News

Hopefully its now sorted. Just dont plug electrical appliances into the bidet in future.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

yes you only keep bottles cool in it at foreign hotels ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ/m ...

Are you sure this is not a Bowden cable system? these tend to get jammed up with gunge and need replacing. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

Hi Brian. I would send an image, but realise that would be pointless :-(

I suppose it is similar to Bowden cable, but a much heavier gauge. The rod exiting the bidet underneath is designed to rotate - it does not toggle side to side, up or down or even in and out. It merely rotates, and probably has a cam below the plug - there is another rod under the plug, which presumably rides on the cam.

Above the bidet (between the taps) is the plug release, a knob which rotates. The knob is attached to yet another rod pointing straight down, so the two rods meet at an angle of 90 degrees. The connection comprises two brass fittings, one for each road, joined by a length (about four inches) of tightly would wire, much like a spring. The spring is covered by a plastic sleeve. The spring is broken.

The connection unit is currently having a wash and brush up in the tumbler, after which I'll see about removing the broken spring, and what might replace it.

Reply to
News

In message , News

Would a piece of plastic tube work in place of the spring?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In message , Muddymike writes

That is Plan B :-)

At present, the horizontal rod which rotates to lift the plug is very stiff, so I'm giving it a daily squirt of penetrating oil. Just age, as we are in a very soft water area, so not scale. Trying to fix it at present will be hopeless - it needs pliers to turn. Hopefully it will free off, then I'll proceed further.

Reply to
News

in a northerly direction

NT