Frame anchors - as good as screws and rawplugs?

I have a box of torx head frame anchors - the type that don't need a rawplug.

Can they be used to fix anything to brickwork - e.g. kitchen cupboards? Is the fit just as secure as the traditional screw and rawplug combination?

Can you get a "hybrid" drill bit that drills into both wood and brick?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I would not count on it... a frame anchor needs to resist lateral motion, but does not usually need to have much pull out resistance, unlike a traditional screw/plug combo.

Yup, Bosch do some multi material bits that are actually quite good:

work *very* well on masonry - especially when new. They are "ok" on other materials. You need to use a bit more weight behind them when drilling wood than you would with a HSS or Lip's'Spur bit. Handy from drilling through something and into a wall ready for a plug.

(note a SDS machine will force a ordinary SDS masonry bit through wood relatively easily as well - more brute force than finesse though!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not so keen on the Torx socket ones, but I think Multi Monti's are wonderful, as long as you use the right size drill.

Reply to
Newshound