Four dead spotlights in living room

Hi all,

We have a set of four recessed spotlights in the living room. They are currently dead. I turned them and they fizzled straight out.

I turned them on at the adjustable light level switch. There is also another normal switch at the other side of the room which just switches them on and off.

The adjustable switch has two switches on it.... the other side controls an additional two spotlights, and these are working fine.

I have:

  1. Checked the fuse at the box (One fuse for all lighting, so all good)
  2. Replaced all four bulbs as a test (in other installations in the house if one bulb goes the others stay running though).

What is the next thing to look at? My guess would be that the adjustable switch itself has gone, but are there other possibilities?

Thanks,

Tris.

Reply to
tristan

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 03:56:02 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@extricate.org" mused:

The dimmer (adjustable switch as you call it) would have been my first port of call. You need to check this and replace if neccesary.

Reply to
Lurch

Yes. Happend to ALL my dimmers.

You MAY be able to repair it.open it up (after disconnecting power) and chances are a PCB track or fuse has gone..replace/repair. However the TRIAC may be DOA as well= new dimmer. Get it rated for a LOT more than you think you need. spotlights under fault conditions, when blowing or when first swiched on suck very high currents..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bear in mind that you may be able to replace the dimmer module - by purchasing a single white plastic version and removing the module and fitting it into the plate of the switch that you have - as it sounds as though you may have a multi-gang arrangement (or are the switches you mention entirely separate?)

Reply to
John

any part of the system might be at fault, a multimeter would enable you to narrow down which bit. As said the dimmer is probably the most likely culprit, but I'd still get a meter rather than guess, it'll work out similar price ane be useful many times in future.

NT

Reply to
meow2222