For the sparkies (with URL)

A couple of snapshots of the electric power reticulation system in Delhi.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

that time the three-phase overhead distribution wires on poles in residential areas were solid copper about 6mm diameter. The cables to our house were simply wrapped round the solid copper without clamps. When we lost power the supply company's first action was to come round with a long bamboo pole and hit the joint -- shower of sparks and we were on again.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

Sparkies indeed!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

years ago.

Reply to
Huge

Have you been inside any of the substations?

Also have you ever been to Tamil Nadu, we get Tamil satellite TV where I live, the streets there seem to be a lot tidier, with underground power distribution.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Wow - takes "lash up" to a whole new level...

I've never seen anything that gash even in the backwaters of China...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Where? (No attachments in this group!)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

This is a rather old part of Delhi, just outside the Chawri Bazar Metro station. The substation was built in 1953, though.

Another thing I would have liked to get a pic of, but felt I'd be risking arrest or worse, was a sandbag emplacement inside the station, about chest height, complete with soldier and weapon (semi-automatic?). On the Delhi Metro everyone has to pass through a metal-detector and have their bags x-rayed (or whatever it is those machines do) to get access to the trains.

I did get a shot of a picturesque looking old guy in the street carrying a long spear.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Reply to
John

Yes, explains why NoEffin Media's customer service had difficulty understanding the concept of a cable buried in the ground; let alone one with an 18" air gap where NG had dug a trench for the new gas main.

Reply to
djc

Easy - If he has an Enfield, you start taking a photo of that, he'll rush over to stand to attention at salute next to his pride and joy, you then deftly swing round and take a photo of the emplacement

I got chased by one once ... with spear

Reply to
geoff