Followup ... Fixing old floorboards

I had six old oak floorboards to lay in my 500 year old house. My problem was that the floor was not flat but curved down 10 cm towards one corner

I tried

- Fixing one end of the floorboard in position and putting a heavy weight on the other end. Result - no noticeable deflection in five days

- As above but laying a wet towel on top of the floorboard where the bend needed to be. Result - no noticeable deflection in five days

- At which point I gave up pussyfooting around and enthusiastically used a wallpaper steamer where the bend needed to be. That was the magic ingredient which made the floorboard sufficiently flexible that I could stand on it to get screw and penny washer fixings in position. Result - one week later I loosened a floorboard and found that the board had deflected by a couple of centimetres.

I dont trust it to stay deflected so I fixed it back down with screw and penny washer. In a month or two I will remove the penny washers and countersink the screws

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Glad to hear the steam bending worked. Did you do this with a steaming bag, or simply by applying the steam plate? How thick is the board and how long did you steam for?

Reply to
dom

I've successfully bent softwood skirting boards quite dramatically by steaming them for half an hour inside a vertical length of 5 inch soil pipe (steam cleaner hose in at the bottom, of course)

Reply to
newshound

Steam plate

10mm or a bit more