Fluorescent Fitting

I think that a couple of strip lights are best for my kitchen but would like something more attractive than the bog standard bare tube that I now have. I know they are not to everyone'staste but the kitchen is long and narrow and I am aware that downlighters are not energy efficient and the harsh shadows would not suit my wife's eyesight issues. Any ideas on a source of decent fittings - I sometimes see attractive ones in shops (in use) but never for sale. Must be easy to clean - I worry about the chrome louvre things getting the chrome worn off.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Even the standard batten holders are not too bad if you buy and fit the optional diffusers.

Failing that, have you considered placing the tubes out of sight above the kitchen units and relying on reflected light off the ceiling. Can work very well in long narrow kitchens, creating bright but diffuse light with no harsh shadows.

Reply to
John Rumm

The top cupboard will (when kitchen is re-fitted) be 900mm high so very close to ceiling. Seen attractive fittings in stores with a mesh type of reflector and thin (T5) tubes.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I think its a case of make your own. Trough, shelf, or a fancy styled uplighting fitting on open view. Such things collect dead insects, so easy hoover access is best.

NT

Reply to
NT

Fitzgerald is the UK's biggest manufacturer of fluorescent fittings.

looks like it might suit your application.

DerekG

Reply to
DerekG

I'm puzzled. I thought they went bust.

Reply to
charles

They did.

This might explain...

Nick Odell

Summat like:

I happened across after following the other link posted. As others have said even the ordinary optional plastic diffusers are quite smart.

And good on you for wanting decent even lighting in the kitchen. It's a work area, you need good even light with few shadows or highlights so you can see what you are doing. Florries produce light from a wide source that means your shadow on the work surface is not well defined and is filled to some extent.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

metal reflector (rather than defuser)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You'd still get better results with an uplighter. With those diffuser types, the majorityf light is coming from behind you when you're at the worktop, and you've still got an ugly glaring fitting in sight.

NT

Reply to
NT

I fitted a couple of these:

with the diffusers (controllers):
the tubes:
they look quite smooth and sophisticated - far too good for me/my tip!

You might need more wattage - my kitchen ain't big.

Reply to
PeterC

try this

critcher