Flow rate of hot water on std cylinder!

I know a comi can give between 9 - 14 litres per minute of hot water.

Does anybody know the flow rate of hot water from a standard 110 litr indirect copper cylinder. If the cold water header tank is approx 2m above the cylider then i there 0.2bar pressure...... What would be the flow rate????

cheer

-- pauliepie

Reply to
pauliepie

It can give up to 22 litres/min, depending on which one you buy.

DEpenmding on the height of the tank above and the size of the cold feed pipe. Apprix 25-30 litres/min on avaerge, but at a very low pressure. Volume but no pressure.

You will have to run around the shower to get wet. You can use a venturi shower that takes it cold off the high pressure mains and hot from the low pressure cylinder. Works well.

Reply to
IMM

But not as well as installing a good quality shower pump like a Stuart Turner and getting good flow and pressure. At least 25lpm at two showers concurrently.

Reply to
Andy Hall

the important factor is the head of water above say a shower spray head,to give good pressure the outlet from the header tank needs to be minium of one metre above the shower head.

At my last property raised tank to give 1.5m best shower I ever had

Reply to
Alex

Nonsense, I have less than 2m head and the shower pressure is fine. More pressure = more fuel, more water, more likely to empty cylinder in time for the next shower.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Yup. I've got about 5 metres head to an Aqualisa shower which has 22mm feeds - carefully run - and it is the best shower I've ever tried without resorting to pumps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you like running around the shower to get wet then that's fine. Normal people like about 1 bar minimum, which is like your tank 30 foot above the shower head.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

This is tripe information. Expensive, noisy, vibrates, wakes the house up, uses too much water making you water bill large, empties the cylinder far too quickly, souses more gas to heat all the wasted water, etc. Totally silly idea. Intelligent people don't use them.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

You haven't had many showers then!

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Depends on your definition of expensive. Yours seems to be anything involving expenditure greater than 50p, and even that's marginal.

Nope. As long as a good quality pump is used none of these points apply.

Nope. Even if you have metered water.

The cylinder should have adequate size for the purpose, as should the storage tank. It's a nonsense to make the shower performance poor to meet the limitations of an inadequate system.

Have you been watching fish cookery programs again? Different newsgroup for that.

I see that you have yet another new news account.........

Reply to
Andy Hall

Lot of money when cheaper better solutions are about.

Yep, they do.

Wrong.

Yep.

They use far too much water. Alos you are suppsoe to register a power shower pump.

uses more gas to heat all the wasted water, etc.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Although better than a gravity fed shower with a small head I found a venturi shower dissapointing.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

What make?

to open account

Reply to
IMM

I think it was Aquaflow but I can't remember for sure.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I did a Google:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% >

We have a shower that is marketed under the tradename "Aquadart" which works on the same prinicple. In our last house we had a pumped power shower and I'd say that the Aquaflow is just as good.

Hope that helps - Dave. %%%%%%%%%%%%%

I installed a Trevi Boost shower about 5 years ago and Ive been very pleased with it, plenty of pressure in my set up, which incidentally is in a hard water area. The valves are ceramic so supposedly maintenance free and self cleaning.

No attention needed so far.

It is very dependant on your mains water pressure though, I would get your pressure measured and compare it to the spec's available from Trevi before fitting, also the hot water needs to be really hot because the shower works best turned full on and therefore needs v hot water to raise the mains cold water temp/pressure.

JBH %%%%%%%%%%%%

Further to a request some 10 days ago to do performance tests on my 'Aquadart' venturi shower, here are the results:

Inlet water temperatures: hot = 55 degC cold = 8 degC

Flow rates and shower water temperatures:

Control knob wound to fully cold: 10 litres/min at 8 degC Control knob wound to fully hot: 8 litres/min at 43 degC

I found that a reasonably hot, just bearable (personal choice?) shower is with an outlet water temperature of about 40 degC. I didn't bother to measure the flowrate at this temeperature since it will obviously be between

8 and 10 litres/min.

A quick calculation on the mixing rates suggests that at max outlet temperature of 43 degC the hot water flow rate is about 6 litres/min with about 2 litres/min cold flow rate.

Hope that helps - Dave. %%%%%%%%%%

to open account

Reply to
IMM

If replacing a cylinder, you may want to replace it with a shower coil cylinder. This has a coiler in the top of the cylinder that only the showers hot supply, fed from the mains, is run though. They prefer to be hotter than the average to operate effectively, so have the water in the cylinder at 70-80C and have a blending valve on hot the Draw-off to give cooler water at the other taps. Then mains high pressure showers and no silly pumps. Highly effective and simple and reliable, as no moving parts, except the shower mixer valve, which all showers have, and blending valve, which may become standard soon anyway.

See

For shower coil cylinder. Other companies make these too.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

pauliepie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.diybanter.com:

You need to think about the head above the shower head, not the HW cylinder, your 2m may come down to one or even less.

In that case the answer is "not enough".

I use a pumped electric shower off the cold water tank (pump built in to the shower) - this will bring down loads of scorn, but it works for me.

Instant shower, loads of flow except when it's really cold out, does not interact with any other water use in the hovel.

Con; it's noisy, but not noticeably outtside the bathroom.

Other solutions have been proposed, some, like good quality external double ended shower pump I think are better, but *much* dearer, and you need a tank of hot water - mine will go unconditionally at 15 seconds notice!

Any road up, I doubt if you'll get a good shower with that head

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Do you understand the difference between flow and pressure? Do you think you'd have to 'run around' to get wet if someone tipped a bucket of water over your head?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. It was an Aquadart. It was fairly old but the performance was dissapointing. Also it was very very sensitive to pressure fluctuations. Everyone was banned from using any water when anyone is in the shower to prevent freezing or scalding.

I don't think it was plumbed in wrongly. The hot feed was the first branch off the tank and the cold came from the cold feed to the header tank.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

branch off the tank and the cold came from the cold feed to the header

A dedicated cold feed should have come directly from the stop c*ck if your mains was not up to it. Your mains might have been up to it, but you had all the mains outlets off a 15mm pipe snaking around the house.

to open account

Reply to
IMM