B&Q Pressure washer

Saw one today in a depot for 19.98! Seems to have a lance & claims to take 'all performance pro accessories' Surely a 'cant lose' buy?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

The only thing you have to lose is £19.98 when it falls apart quite soon and the waste of X amount of time and Y amount of petrol to take it back.

Performance Pro is a brand that B&Q is attempting to establish, but whch in reality has no backup and covers an arbitrary set of tat emanating from the far east.

If you don't care about X or Y then it may be a reasonable buy. If you do then it is likely to be a disaster. Buy cheap, buy twice.... or three times......

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bought one a few years ago. It isn't as powerful as a basic Karcher, but it does work and I've abused it to the extent that I am astonished it still works. (i.e. it overwinters lying in a frozen puddle outside).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi

Bear in mind the total motor life is 10 -12 working hours. But also bear in mind that B&Q have a great warranty policy.

If it breaks, take it back, if it breaks again, take it back again.

If it lasts for 11 months 3 weeks & 6 days and is still working, take it back anyway. They will keep replacing stuff almost indefinately. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well mine (used all of six times so far) hasn't fallen apart yet. For the smallscale applications I use it for, it's dead good (to someone who never had one before).

Whenever I catch myself thinking "as I was brought up" -- i.e. thinking 'bloody hell - 20 pounds?!?!?'', I remind myself that I put 30 quid in my car every week, and never even give it a thought. That adds perspective to the decision (I'm still tight-fisted).

I'd agree with Malcolm - a "can't lose buy".

Cheers John

Reply to
John

If you don't care about the cost of your time it might be.......

If I have to take something back to B&Q, then it is going to take about two hours including getting there getting back and sorting out the problem. That is worth way more than £10/hour in terms of what I could have achieved productively in that time on other things.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy

IF you ever need to swap it in, here's a tip: wait until you're going to B&Q anyway and do it then - that will save you your valuable time.

Reply to
Kevin Brady

and do it then - that will save you your valuable time.

That's fine, but what if I specifically needed to use it there and then? Sod's law dictates that that will more than likely happen.

I would rather pay more and get something decent and not have the hassle. If that breaks, then I can reasonably ask the retailer for compensation for having to return the product and get it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well my expensive Karcher fell apart after 6 months, was repaired under warranty and then fell apart again 1 month later. Expensive cheap rubbish. At least if you spend £19.98 you know what to expect...

Reply to
Mark

I suppose I've always been a bit of a risk taker...live life on the edge!

Reply to
Kevin Brady

I've always had good results with my Kaercher machine. Had it been less than that, it would have gone back for a replacement one time and refund second time plus compensation. I've never had problems with B&Q either in terms of getting recompense for inconvenience.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In what way did it fall apart?

I've had some good use out of a small Karcher, even with it running dry a few times due to airlocks in the garden hose (oops!)

Though I've no doubt the cheap ones are reasonably good.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C