Floor covering advice: old concrete adjacent to new

I have a kitchen dinner area which has a new concrete floor area, complete with insulation and damp proof membrane, and an adjacent area of old concrete floor. The old floor had some vinyl tiles which were damp on their underside when lifted.

I would like to install hard wood flooring over both areas. Is there a hardwood floor glue I can use that also has damp proofing properties or do I need to paint on a damp proofer and then the glue? How to I find out about compatibilities of the two products? Would tiling be easier i.e. is their tile adhesive available which contains a damp proofer?

Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

Just out of curiosity do you know that the damp is rising through the concrete or was it just surface water in the kitchen getting under the tiles?

Hardwood floors are not normally glued to the existing floor in any case so you could put down a damp proof underlay

Do you mean a real hardwood floor or a wood effect laminate floor as laminate is not the best option for kitchens where water is spilled

Tony

Reply to
TMC

dinner area which has a new concrete floor area,

Hi, it was not surface water and there is not dpm. I want to install a hard wood floor, not laminate. Some hardwood floors are glued to concrete. The manufacturers of the floors sell the glue. Cheers

Reply to
nafuk

Clearly for the traditional parquet wood block floor glueing is essential, however for modern engineered hardwood flooring it is normal to use a floating floor method of installation.

I can think on no compelling reason to glue down such a floor and have seen them installed as floating in such heavy use places as school gymnasia

Under a floating floor you will be able to lay damp proof membrane and sound insulation prior to fitting the floor

This link may help

TMC