Floating windfarm

Where are the viable sources of uranium in Cornwall ?

Both countries have unfortunate histories regarding the historical treatment of the original inhabitants of those countries, plus the near extinction of the bison as a breed

Reply to
Andrew

And the UK doesn't have similar history with slavery and the treatment of natives in the colonies? Why are conversationalist now trying to reintroduce various animals and birds that were once native to the UK if they weren't driven to near extinction be the UK population.

Before wondering where the Uranium is going to come from just make sure that none of your clothing or cheap imported products are made in far eastern or Indian sub continent sweat shops employing children!

Reply to
alan_m

South Terras near St. Austell is/was the largest deposit. 736 tons in

1873-1910 The undergrowth in the immediate area is mildly radioactive from the mine waste.
Wheal Trenwith near St. Ives was another: ~700 tons of uranium ore between 1911 and 1917. The local mythology has it that Mme Curie used Trenwith uranium for her research. At one time it was suggested that a 'uranium health spa' was established near the town!

Providence Mine a third. ~3 tons circa 1907

A handful of other mines produced small amounts.

Source: H.G. Dines; The Metalliferous Mining Region of South-West England; HMSO; 1956.

Most of the ore was recovered from the mine dumps, because although it was originally assumed to be black copper ore, when it was realised it wasn't, it was just thrown away on the dumps. Those dumps have mostly been bulldozed and housing or car parks put in their place.

At the time, uranium was used in glass-making to make a greenish-yellow glass that fluoresces beautifully under UV light. They regularly appear on Ebay.

I have a few pieces.

Probably not much left by way of viable deposits today, although modern exploration and recovery techniques might improve the situation. Several sites in both Devon and Cornwall were explored during WW2 with the possible need for uranium for weapons.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That isnt true of Australia which is the main source of uranium for the west.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mooring cables like that are MUCH harder to cut.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I'm not sure the point had any legs. All power sources have issues, nuke is overall the best of them. Large scale solar & wind are almost silly.

Reply to
Animal

Along with the arab countries of the middle east taking slaves all up and down the East African coast and the former Barbary states now known as Morrocco, Tunisia, Algeria, etc, taking as slaves people from all over southern Europe and even up to England and Ireland.

And of course the elites of what are now west African states who were quite happy to sell their own people to the slavers.

So a little less bollocks from do-gooders, please.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Spike

The greatest risk to nuclear is a Green coalition backed by 'renewable' money, like the one that destroyed Germany's nuclear industry. And has left it in economic recession.

As far as climate change goes, I am almost not even interested in it any more. We simply do not have any ability to make a difference whatsoever, without nuking China back to the stone age. With no guarantee that will make any difference anyway. We will have to adapt to whatever the climate throws at us, I am just not convinced it will be warmer weather...

The real problem is worsening energy shortages and rising prices. Nuclear cannot solve all of that, but it can make a huge difference, whereas renewables simply make things worse.

In the end we will go nuclear, because nothing else actually works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not for new build. Ours is a 1930s house, and as soon as we moved in we replaced all the windows with new UPVC DG, insulated the loft properly, and had cavity wall insulation put in. That has helped a lot, and it's noticeable that during this cold spell, the house didn't drop to external tempertures or anything close.

But the reason for that was lack of wind: let it be cold AND windy, and the inside of the house cools down fairly quickly. This is likley because of suspended floors, beneath which is the ground. But no, I'm not going to pull all the floors up and have insulation suspended beneath them. Far too much disruption.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You mean like the 2/3rds of our nuclear power stations that are claimed to be offline right now because of 'problems' (according to sky tv).

The last thing any energy intensive country needs is to put all their eggs in one basket.

Reply to
Andrew

Loft Insulation is worth it. I'm dubious of double glazing. Plastic frames are good, draught proof, but double glass panels blowing and misting up seems to be the unnecessary failure mode. So I'm dubious of the economic benefit. Maybe if you live up north and get a lot of cold weather, but not in London.

Reply to
Pancho

They are all very very old.

Tow are having steam valves inspected - that's 4 reactors - a fifth is on its wayt up after refuelling

You dont need to rely on sky New Lies.

So true, You should never fit 4 tyres of the same make or size to your car,

Although why one power station needing maintenance would affect all the others is something only a ArtStudent could explain....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The measurements don't lie. About one third the heatloss of single glazing, no condensation dripping down inside the windows on frosty nights and about 40dB less sound transfer.

You may choose not to fit them as I did, but that is not because they don't work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, they work, but the extra cost is not justified by heating cost savings.

With roller blinds, I do get condensation on the inside.

Reply to
Pancho

I have a 1908 property, 9inch solid walls, high ceilings (9 foot) large windows and more that the recommended thickness of loft insulation. I keep records of my annual gas and electricity consumption and my gas consumption fell by 25% when I had single glazed wood frame windows replaced with UPVC double glazed widows and doors. Gas is used for CH.

Although the payback period may be long I no longer have to paint the window frames and my house is virtually draught free. There are other benefits if replacing old single glazed windows.

Reply to
alan_m

Well it probably is if you have either huge windows or have already done everything else insulation wise. Or if your window frames are draughty and rotted and there isn't any useful reason not to fit them

Obviously the biggest thing you can do is insulate the roof, followed by the walls an draughtproofing the house.

Then the floor, then the windows.

But windows are cheap and easy...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean such as the French with their 70% of volts generated by nuclear?

Are you going to tell them or should I?

Reply to
Tim Streater

14 years old now and no problems at all.
Reply to
Tim Streater

DG panels failing is not a large problem and quite easy to fix by replacing the panel (and not the frame).

The DG in my mothers house was installed 25 years ago and one panel failed last year.

In a friends (rented) house the DG was installed when a large extension was built in 2000. One panel has failed in a porch BUT mainly because the porch was so badly built that some of it moves in high winds.

Reply to
alan_m