flat lead roof - brick joint

I have a flat lead roof covering a bay window. This is single piece and brick jointed along a single straight 3 metre continuous run. I have just raked the whole thing out to cure a leak (That's where it was Phil L.). I've read on this NG about expansion contraction problems on long runs. I've raked it out good and deep and intend to PVA the joint before a standard sand & cement pointing session ensues. Anything else I should do to ensure longevity? I won't be going to the extremes/expense of removing or replacing the lead.

Reply to
VisionSet

Actually now on closer inspection, on one small section (a few inches) there is not enough lead to go into the joint by more than a few mm. The rest is fine about 20mm. Can I solder an extension?

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Yes you can. Plumbers flux and a blowlamp and some scrap lead or plumbers solder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've just messed about with some scraps and it seems I can even use lead free solder. Technique seems to be a slow gradual build up of temperature as its very easy to blow holes in it! I think perhaps a 5mm overlap, shiney as I can get it, plenty of flux and a gradual work along one end to tuther. Alot harder than endfeeding copper though!!

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

The best way to over come the lack of inturn into the brick joint, is to put an apron of lead over the top. Depending on the up stand you have from the base of the flat roof up to the brick joint. Just bend a strip of lead at right angle, with 25mm into the brick joint, the length can be up to 1.5m.

Reply to
keith_765

PVA. Always with the PVA.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

What's so special about PVA.

I've pointed hundreds of metres of Lead to brick joints in my work and also seen brick layers point Lead work to brick joints. Never used or seen any one in the building trade use PVA in conjunction with pointing brick joints. If you read the Lead work manual it states "point with Lead pointing compound" common name for this is LEADMATE. Before any one jumps in and says I'm wrong. Pointing with sand & cement doesn't allow for expansion. Adding PVA will only grip even more.

Reply to
keith_765

Sorry, Keith, you've got me wrong. If you search back, you'll see that I've several times had a go at the PVA fetishists.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit