Lead bay roof leaking

My bay roof leaks when there's heavy rain. The problem seems to be hairline cracks in the mortar just above where the lead enters the mortar. I've been out today with a hosepipe and gave the lead (not the wall) a thorough soaking and no water came through. I then soaked sections of the wall where the lead enters the mortar and think I've identified the section of wall where the water is getting in.

My question is - how to fix the problem. Does the mortar need to raked out and repointed, or can I just use some sort of sealant over the cracks? If so, what's the best sealant to use?

TIA

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Re-pointing with a pva mortar should improve matters, but you'll need to rake out to a depth of at least an inch. If the bricks themselves are letting water you may have to render. I don't think any sealer/surface coating is likely to be effective for long.

Reply to
stuart noble

Hi,

Would PVA do it? It should soak into the mortar if dry and looks fairly transparent.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C