Flat Drive Belts, Scarf Jointed

Does anyone know where I could find a flat drive belt, the type that is joined in situ with a scarf joint and an adhesive?

There used to be a company near Stirling Corner on the A1 near Barnet, but I can't find their name now and assume they're not trading. The belts were made by Walker Belting, who I also can't find.

I've had to move my lathe and the old belt had to be cut because it passes through slots in the lathe bad. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Reply to
Onetap

I would recommend asking on the uk.rec.models.engineering newsgroup. Peterk

Reply to
PeterK

Try asking on URME

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Try this site and email Tony.

This is a serious site for anyone with a lathe of any type and Tony has encyclopeadic knowledge and contacts for everything associated with lathe work.

However while I can appreciate that perhaps you are wishing to preserve a vintage lathe, there is a lot to be said for biting the bullet and transforming it to V belt drive.

I know one of the answers will be that without a belt to drive it, you cannot machine anything to do the modification - that I cannot help with except that I did it many years ago and did find a friendly lathe owner to machine the V pulley blocks for me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

You are not kidding there.

When you ran the lathe with a flat belt, did you every come across a product called (I think) 'Grippo'. It was used to stop slippage of the leather belt on the metal drums, by applying it when the belt was running.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I did think of that and would do it, if it was practical. The main problem/obstacle is that the belt has to be jointed to go through slots in the lathe bed and, possibly, the lathe. I would be reluctant to take an angle grinder to it.

I will try the other sources mentioned, many thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
Onetap

No, power usage has been fairly modest to date and belt slippage hasn't been a problem. It may have been used on factory shaft drive systems. My one started life with an AC motor driving a DC generator, which drove the DC speed-controlled final drive motor. There is belt-dressing spray available for use on Fenner type V-belt drives. My encounters with it involved maintenance contractors spraying it around liberally on fan drives in the hope it would disguise, or compensate for, the lack of maintenance.

Reply to
Onetap

I have just re-visited

- I have previously spent many hours on the site. Amazing to think how many of us used to work on machine tools - but there is so little about them on the internet. It is good site.

John ex- Jig Borer

Reply to
John