Flame failure electrode question (2023 Update)

Steve. My very limited involvement in circuit board soldering failure/dry joints suggests you check carefully where *thermally massive* components are attached.

Assembly may well have moved along from the *solder bath* technique where a wave of molten solder washes over the back of the assembled board, but, localised *chilling* can lead to poor quality connections.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I once bought an ex rental colour tv that required percussive maintenance to get the colour back

I discovered instead of through hole plating, it had some form of pop rivet connecting tracks on either side of the board. I soldered every single one. Both sides...took me a whole afternoon.

The TV was rock solid for years until it got destroyed by a direct lightning strike on the house phone line.

It wasn't worth repairing...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher