Fixing to prefab concrete garage

My Dad has asked me to go over and help fix up a cupboard in their garage. The garage is a prefabricated concrete affair AFAICR. He tried drilling it with his normal hammer drill but had no impact.

I'm taking my SDS over, but I'm wondering if attempting to drill it is the best way, any other suggestions?

Reply to
chris French

One way is to use some bracketry to pick up the panel joining bolts (if it's that sort of 'prefab') and use those to create crossmembers / batten to fix the cupboard to?

On mine I fixed 6 x 6 x 2" sawn blocks "Gripfilled" to each of the panels (4 / panel), lined the garage with ply screwed to the blocks and now I can fix most things where I like (you could do just one 8x4 panel maybe)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

chris French explained :

I happen to have just done that this afternoon :-)

I needed to properly fix a shelf, one where I had myself tried to drill a few years ago with a basic hammer drill and not managed to go deep enough.

The SDS will easily do it, but obviously you need to avoid the reinforcing steel around the edges of each section (cable and pipe locator?). An obviously easy place to drill is in mid panel though the panels are very thin there - too thin for screws and plugs, but nuts and bolts work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The message from chris French contains these words:

Glue a big slab of MDF up and fix to that.

Reply to
Guy King

I should go very easy if you're drilling it, a "normal" hammer drill should be OK unless you hit a bit of metak re-inforcing bar - if you use a high-energy SDS you may crack panels, they're surprisingly thin.

Make sure all panels are held on properly, someimes internal (4x2 sheet steel with a hole in the middle) plates go missing. Use galvanized bolts, head outside, not BZP.

Reply to
Chris Bacon