fixing metal back box in stud wall

I'm happy to screw through the plasterboard and make good. I will use plasterboard screws so that they will not rust.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

I've wondered why they don't have 20mm cut outs? Perhaps its because they are use for retrofits where you would not be able to insert conduit etc.

Reply to
Stephen

Oh - and depending on make, you might find boxes with the correct holes already drilled. Use small woodscrews to minimise the chances of the battens splitting. No6 are usually fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cheers. Seems they are specific for DETA flat plate accessories.

Reply to
ARW

Don't see why they can't accept any double outlet. The hole centres are correct and the locking lugs look quite normal.

Reply to
charles

"Specific in making the DETA flatplate accessory look like its flush to the wall when using a DETA dry liner" would be a better term

Sure it will also allow the use of any double socket.

Flat plate accessories usually have a gasket - and I suspect that the DETA gasket is cut/shaped to fit the DETA dry liner box and allow the DETA faceplate (with matching gasket) to fit closer to the wall.

Flatplate and dryliners not not mix well. However bog standard white MEM faceplates do cover dry liner boxes - a pity that their sockets "look odd" as the holes are lower down than other manufacturers.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

It looks pretty - but I'm not quite sure how it wins over a normal dry liner. It still has those 8 lugs - is it really less wide/tall?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I assume the backbox is specifically designed so the 8 lugs are concealed in recesses in the DETA frontplates? They might "work" with normal accessory plates, but wouldn't you end up with gaps between the pads, which would be more noticeable than the 1mm rim on modern dryliner boxes?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The DETA "flatplate" catalogue only shows one rear picture (page 49)

It doesn't seem to have 8 individual recesses, but apparently a trough all the way round the edge, with a rubber gasket, maybe Adam can confirm if the pads simply get buried in the gasket?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is my understanding. However I seldom fit DETA. I fit Scolmore (OK I also fit a lot of MK as schools and hospital spec MK).

And I hate flat plate:-)

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Nonsense.

If you use, e.g. a squared corner dry lining box with a device with rounded edges, yes, it'll stick out like a sore thumb. But if you take the trouble to match like-for-like, the edges of the box are invisible.

There are several makes and types of dry-lining box available. It's worth trying the device with a few different boxes to get a good match if it matters to you that much.

I've installed several sockets using a dry lining box. You can't tell the box is there.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So there are dry lining boxes available for every single make of socket?

And if you are using a metal plate fitting, you get a matching metal dry lining box?

I could.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

You appear to be exceptionally anally retentive, even by the standards of usenet.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No, just have certain standards.

You might be perfectly happy with those bodge boxes designed for a cheap and cheerful job.

Others may not be.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I could tell.

OK for a rented porperty in Goldthorpe - no use for a million pound house in Totley.

Reply to
ARW

One thing that makes a metal back box fairly secure is to attach a piece of wood, or another, inverted, 'spacer' back box of suitable thickness to the stone or brick wall behind a plastered wall using wallplugs, then screw the back box to that spacer.

Assuming that there is a stone or brick wall behind the plaster, of course.

Reply to
Windmill

That would be a rather unusual stud wall ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It depends on what you mean my a stud wall. Quite often battens are nailed to a solid wall with Plaster board on top. This fooled me when I was "modernising" my daughter's flat some years ago.

Reply to
charles

I would call that a dry-liner.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lot of unusual things in old Edinburgh flats.

But I was thinking more of lath and plaster walls than drywall.

Reply to
Windmill