fitting new boiler - LPG or Oil?

Are they expensive to run? Gas a very cheap to cook on.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

While I haven't actually done any measurements, I think they are one of the cheapest in terms of running costs. This is because they have near

100% energy transfer into the pot/pan.
Reply to
Grunff

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

On a related note - some of the combi boilers round here have a blown concentric flue right up to the ridgeline. Depending on the weather you can sometimes see the exhaust coming out of the flue and running down the roof and into the gutter like mist.

Reply to
Guy King

Makes your chips taste funny too :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Probably an anti-plume kit. These slot over the centre exhaust pipe of the flue and then you run it to a convenient spot using plastic pipe. They look the pits. All they need do is fit a blending valve on the boiler return to keep the return temp at 60C, above the dew-point, and no pluming.

There is one condensing boiler available that does not require a condensate drain as well. The Atmos Drain Free:

Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

boiler installations where the coyboys have just bunged the condensate drain through the wall to let it dribble. When the weather's cold it freezes up and the boiler safety cuts out - leaving you with no heating when it's coldest!

Trouble is - it's more to go wrong, innit.

Reply to
Guy King

The dribble or the pump?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

The pump.

Reply to
Guy King

Better having it connected to a drain od course. But if one is difficult to get to the Atmos is ideal.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would agree. On ours you just flick the "C" button once the pan is to temp and it holds it there cutting in and out at about 3 seconds on, 3 off.

Even at full tilt, you can put your finger on the cooker top right up to the edge of the pan which also means everything that gets spilt will wipe away in seconds.

Bloody marvelous invention, though there isn't an abundance of magnetic pans on the market to chose from.

Reply to
PeTe33

Destined to go the way of Betamax then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, though perhaps because of their initial cost, and the fact that most people have gas, they will likely remain just a niche market.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

And expensive! I'm going to have to do a good deal of thinking before I choose a boiler, but it looks like a stainless heat exchanger is going to be right up there high on the list.

Reply to
Guy King

It may work out cheaper if ripping the place to pieces is in order to get a to a drain pipe.

Yep.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nope, because the technology can be embraced by every manufacturer unlike betamax.

Besides, if all else fails you can always use cast iron stuff. " le cruisier" etc.

Reply to
PeTe33

Quite a lot of the "cook's essentials" (own-brand) range on QVC say suitable for induction, and not expensive.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Access would depend on where the boiler went. It's in the kitchen at the moment, but if it's moved to the airing cupboard above then it's not far to the bathroom drainstack.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks to everyone for their help, have decided to change to oil condensing. Does anyone have an opinion on the esse oil fired cooker only??? Wife thinking of purchasing one!

Reply to
Huj

Cheap and nasty. We threw one out when we moved here.

Reply to
Grunff